Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

A Non-Traditional Fall? Let’s do it.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

It’s that feeling you get when you see the first leaf change. Or, when Starbucks switches their menu to serving everyone’s favorite pumpkin flavors again. That feeling when you see little gourds and pumpkins being sold again in the grocery store. Or, when football season finally starts. It’s this shared excitement to cozy up and indulge in the season of fall that we get year after year, motivating us to participate in fall activities. These activities, however, have grown to be slightly monotonous, thus today I will be sharing some less traditional and potentially new ways to spend this fall season. Consider this your unconventional guide to all things fall. 

Make this season, the season of dinner parties. And not only just dinner parties, fall themed dinner parties. This can be interpreted however you see fit, but my fall theme ideas would be to have everyone dress like the leaves, or host a loaf party, and have everyone bring their own baked bread with distinct fall flavors like pumpkin or chai.  Other theme ideas would be to dress like your favorite rom-com character, or host a pumpkin painting party. A bonus to dinner parties during fall is that less people usually travel during the fall time than the summer season, which makes it easier to find a time where everyone can attend. The secret to a good dinner party is paying attention to details. This could mean playing light music in the background, or setting the table with little name cards. As long as you add your own personal touch to dinner parties, your guests will surely have a memorable time.

Take the time this season to care for your mental health. There’s no time like the present and with the holiday season approaching, the fall time is the perfect time to check in emotionally. Although mental health awareness has grown exponentially recently, there is a remaining stigma surrounding it. Recognizing that therapy is a privilege and not everyone has the money or the resources to speak with a professional, one easy way to start a mental health journey is to begin a morning journaling routine. This may look different to everyone, but I have found it to be incredibly beneficial to practice a journaling technique known as a “mind dump” each morning. This technique is exactly how it sounds where you basically “word vomit” whatever is on your mind when you wake up. It is an effective way in learning more about yourself and leading a more intentional and grateful life. Another way to take care of your mental health is to prioritize small moments of self care. For fall this may look like scheduling in times you will cozy up in your robe and watch Gilmore Girls. Or turn off your phone while you are baking a pie and disconnect from the endless accessibility we experience in the age of Iphones and social media. 

Another way to spend this time is connecting with your more creative side, by taking up painting, and in particular painting the picturesque scenes of nature in the fall. Pack yourself a painting essentials bag with a canvas, brushes, acrylic paints or watercolor paints, and head outside. Find somewhere you can be calm in nature while also viewing a scene of nature to pull inspiration from. Allow the beauty of nature and the calming brush strokes of painting to recharge you and give you peace.

My final suggestion this fall would be to spice up your Spotify or Apple Music playlist. Having new music for a new season adds to the magic of this transition. My fall recommendation would be the band Mt. Joy. They released an album this summer called “Orange Blood” that has a great mix of relaxing and upbeat music. The whole album with its folk indie feel is sure to bring the best fall vibes.

Although these were just a few suggestions, there are truly endless ways to spend this season, and considering it is a time to get cozy and lean into comfort, it is also great to go back to fall classics. I encourage you to allow yourself to enjoy all of this season’s simple pleasures.  

Elizabeth Collins

Wake Forest '26

A freshman at Wake Forest and I am super excited to be writing!