This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Women’s History Month is a time to celebrate and empower all of the women in our lives — whether they exist in the real world or some mystical fairytale land. And, since quotes are a precious glance into the thoughts and lives of other people, I thought there was no better way to spread the love and confidence than to share a few amazing quotes by and from some strong female characters! Happy Women’s History Month! I hope these quotes remind you to love and empower the women around you.

1. “Oh, it’s delightful to have ambitions. I’m so glad I have such a lot. And there never seems to be any end to them – that’s the best of it. Just as soon as you attain to one ambition you see another one glittering higher up still. It does make life so interesting.” – Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

2. “You had the power all along, my dear.” – The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Brum

3. “Men tell stories. Women get on with it. For us, it was a shadow war. There were no parades for us when it was over, no medals or mentions in history books. We did what we had to during the war, and when it was over, we picked up the pieces and started our lives over.” – The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

4. “‘I am not an angel,’ I asserted; ‘and I will not be one till I die: I will be myself. Mr. Rochester, you must neither expect nor exact anything celestial of me – for you will not get it, any more than I shall get it of you: which I do not at all anticipate.’” – Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

5. “If she must grow roots, she would rather be left to flourish wild instead of pruned, would rather stand alone, allowed to grow beneath the open sky. Better that than firewood, cut down just to burn in someone else’s hearth.” – The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V. E. Schwab

6. “There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me.” – Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

7. “Most women suffer thorns for the sake of the flowers, but we who wield power adorn ourselves with flowers to hide the sting of our thorns.” – King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo

Madi Miller

Wake Forest '23

I am from Raleigh, North Carolina, and I'm currently a junior majoring in Business and Enterprise Management with a concentration in International Business at Wake Forest University. I love photography, reading, road trips, Marvel movies, and volleyball! I hope to put myself out of my comfort zone and push beyond my boundaries in writing and creativity, and I am excited for this opportunity with Her Campus WFU!
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.