Wellness

5 Ways to Get Your Dorm Room (and Yourself!) Ready for Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

It’s officially April, which means it’s time to start shaking off our winter blues and dreaming of the upcoming summer months. Many of us feel excitement at the beginning of spring, ready to wrap up the school year and see what lies ahead. Below are some suggestions for anyone who is unsure of how exactly to catch this spring fever, as well as those of us who want help finding ways to reset their space in this time of new beginnings!

Set aside an afternoon for spring cleaning. This cleaning session should be a deep clean- vacuuming, washing sheets, disinfecting dishes and getting rid of any food you don’t think you’ll eat. A decluttered space is a decluttered mind, and this is the perfect way to start freshening up your place for spring.

Open your windows. After being shut in your dorm all winter, the air has probably gone stale. As the sun begins to shine and the breeze gets warmer, you’ll be surprised by how different you feel when you crack a window and breathe in some fresh air.

Buy fresh flowers. It’s atypical for college students to have a vase of flowers in their dorms, but it shouldn’t be. During your next grocery run, buy a cheap bouquet of flowers and put it in a mug or a mason jar when you get back to your room. It’ll brighten up the area and is sure to put a smile on your face every time you look at it.

Use Essential Oils. Our sense of smell plays a huge part in determining our mood, and essential oils are a great way to pull ourselves out of the winter slump. You can diffuse them, mix them with water in a spray bottle, or even add them to a bowl of steaming water. Floral scents such as geranium and ylang-ylang as well as citrus oils like grapefruit and lemon are sure to make it feel like spring!

Make a spring playlist. This can consist of music that makes you want to dance or songs that you remember playing on repeat the last time the weather was warm. Whatever you choose, playing the right music while you’re spending time in your room will put you in the upbeat mood that is perfectly appropriate for the season.

Karen David

Wake Forest '22

Karen is from Phoenix, Arizona. She is a pre-law student at Wake Forest, double majoring in philosophy and economics. She loves yoga, reading, and writing.
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.