5 Ways to Enjoy Your Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

1. Cherish time with loved ones.

Forget the expensive roses, heart-shaped necklace, or huge stuffed bear (I mean, who has room to fit that in their dorm?). Let’s be real – this is college, and while the cheesy and traditional Valentine’s Day presents can be cute, we’re all broke. No one wants to spend that extra cash on a momentary memento. Instead, take Valentine’s Day as an opportunity to get away from the social and academics stresses, and spend the day doing whatever you want to do with the person or people you love – no presents or social stigmas attached. 

2. Relive your elementary school Valentine’s Day party: make cards for your friends.

Valentine’s Day always included arguably the best parties of your elementary school career. What could be better than receiving cute customized cards with candy attached to them from all your classmates? As a self-diagnosed Pinterest addict, I decided last year to make each one of my friends a personalized Valentine’s Day card. It’s a fun little way to brighten up your friends’ days and step up your crafting game. 

3. Celebrate Galentine’s Day instead. 

If you’re a fan of Parks and Recreation, then you’ll be familiar with Leslie Knope’s revered holiday, officially observed on Feburary 13th. There’s no better way to celebrate the love you have for your best friends by getting together and dressing up for a nice dinner, or going out and getting your nails done.

4. Treat yo self. 

Who says you need a romantic partner to celebrate this day of love? Treat yourself to your favorite meal, movie, or dress you’ve been wanting to buy yourself for a while now. You deserve it, girl.

5. Call your parents or siblings.

No one loves you more unconditionally than your family, so surprise them with a call or send a sibling one of those stupidly hilarious e-valentines day cards. 

Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board. 
Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus