jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Super Simple Quotes and How to Apply Them to Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

1. Let the beauty you love be what you do -Rumi

You’ve heard it before, that you should do what you love and you’ll never work a day in your life. But Rumi’s quote is more than that, it’s about recognising the things that bring you joy, the things you see as beautiful, and then seeking out ways in which you can express yourself through them. It requires a conscious effort towards actively pursuing happiness. As Shakspeare said, “Joy’s soul lies in the doing.” We get more pleasure making progress towards our goals than we do from actually achieving them.

2. In pursuit of knowledge, every day something is acquired. In pursuit of wisdom, every day something is dropped – Lao Tzu

Wisdom, however you define it, is about letting go. Whether it’s being able to forgive someone, understanding when to step back, listening to your surroundings rather than speaking, or just knowing that you don’t know, it takes surrendering of our egos in order to gain wisdom.

3. One who seeks knowledge must desire from a young age to hear the entire truth- Plato

Often college students find themselves so overwhelmed with new information–whether it’s the contents of your last lecture, gossip about the girls on your hall, or what comes on the weekly news– that we take it all verbatim and don’t step back to question it’s truth or validity. It takes actively seeking the truth, not letting yourself be complacent, and a strong sense of curiosity to develop a critical and accurate set of beliefs. 

4. Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast. In a pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -Ovid

One of the most exciting things about college is simply the number of opportunities we have, whether it’s ways to meet new people, advance our careers, develop hobbies or skills, or improve ourselves. However, none of this is possible without casting a wide net, without even giving yourself a chance to find the outlet you need. Seriously, if you’re curious about it, just try it. Once. 

5. We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. -Joseph Campbell

College is the first time many of us have to start making decisions that are going to affect us for the rest of our lives, and the more time that passes, there’s an increasing sense of urgency to have everything “figured out”, to be set on a certain path to success, to have a set timeline for the future. While all of these things can give someone peace of mind, more often it forces us down a path that leads to feelings of regret, being trapped, or unfulfilled. But breaking away from this structure, while easier said than done, is one of the most freeing shifts in mindset i’ve ever had. There’s no test to hand in at the end of life, no way to really fail, so why not explore every pathway you can?

Graphics courtesy of Kylie Yorke. 

Kylie Yorke

Wake Forest '23

I'm a freshman from Redondo Beach, California planning on majoring in psychology, but pursuing interests in graphic design, philosophy, and neuroscience. I love to spend time outdoors whether it's thrill-seeking or just relaxing, and I love to draw, be around people (and dogs), and play ukulele.
Claire Fletcher

Wake Forest '20

Mathematical Business Major at Wake Forest University