jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Must-Read Books if You’re a Fan of Psychological Thrillers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

“Gone Girl” by Gillian Flynn. 

“Gone Girl” was the first novel in this genre that instantly got me hooked. I always recommend this book to readers if they are fans of these romantic mysteries/thrillers. Flynn has always been my favorite author within the realm of psychological thrillers because of her ability to have you completely convinced about a character and then in a matter of two pages have your entire perception flipped. “Gone Girl” is a book of pure genius. From the writing and to the story line, she has you hooked by page 10 in the tales of Nick Dunne and Amazing Amy. Plus, a perk of this book is being able to see the characters come to life in a movie that finally does a good book justice.

“Sharp Objects” by Gillian Flynn.

Another novel by Gillian Flynn that will keep you captivated from the first few pages. Camille Preaker is assigned the role of investigating recent murders of young girls in her home town. She is forced to face her own demons and childhood trauma while on her search for answers. This is another novel that has recently received praise for it screen adaptation on HBO.

“The Couple Next Door” by Shari Lapena.

After binge reading all of Gillian Flynn’s novels, I was desperately searching for another novel within this genre that could have the ability of keeping me up all night, desperately trying to stay awake just to read more. This book has you constantly turning the pages believing you finally figured it all out until Lapena throws you yet another surprise.

“Big Little Lies” by Liane Moriarty. 

I know many of you have probably heard about the TV show that became an instant sensation amoung women. The posh life meets mystery, confusing pasts and some twists you’ll never see coming. Moriarty starts the novel with the detail that the whole entire novel works to unravel. The book is told in a series of chapters from different perspectives of mothers in the town through dramatic irony. 

“The Wife Between Us” by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen. 

This book is just full of twists on every page. It can definitely get confusing at times, so be prepared to really think about the different characters and the details you’re given about them. The book is told from the perspectives of the two main protagonists (who need to be left unnamed). The book is sectioned off into the three parts each with more twists than the last. You are left with your mouth open literally until the last few words of the novel. If you were a fan of this one these two authors just released their newest novel, “An Anonymous Girl,” this month so keep an eye out!

Sources: Google Image. 

Madeline Kenney

Wake Forest '20

I am currently a Junior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, with a minor in Psychology. I have a love for traveling, which I why I chose to spend my semester abroad in Vienna, Austria. My other hobbies include Hot Yoga and Pure Barre, and you can always catch me keeping myself up to date with all things skin care at Sephora.
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.