This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Chris Evans is an amazing actor–truly a fan favorite. His range and ability to play different kinds of characters well is part of the reason we love him so much! Now that he’s hung his shield up and retired from his 10-year stint in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I can’t wait to see him branch out even more. But for now, we’ll have to settle for rewatching some of his iconic roles, my favorite of which I have listed down below! Happy watching!

Captain America: The First Avenger

Of course, I had to start with this one. The film came out when the Marvel Cinematic Universe was just starting off, introducing fans to the story of Steve Rogers–a.k.a. Captain America. In this movie, Evans plays the ideal American hero during World War 2, fighting against Hydra agents and saving the day as we all expected. But beyond the hero, Steve explores personal relationships and grapples with his changing view of the world. For Marvel fans, it’s always great to go back to the origin stories of our favorite heroes! But for newcomers, this film is a great way to start your journey in the MCU.

Knives Out

Hugh Ransom Drysdale is probably the most abnormal character Evans plays on this list. Set against the backdrop of the murder mystery of his grandfather, spoiled and pretentious Ransom-skips-the-funeral-but-attends-the-will-reading-Drysdale is caught up in the who-dun-it mystery and family drama, naturally leading to lies, corruption, and more lies. It is safe to say the arrogant douchebag Chris gives us in this movie is far from his usual style, and yet he pulls it off so well! This movie is great to watch even after you know who the bad guy is because of the humor and new meaning you can find in the characters’ actions!

Gifted

A movie that never fails to make me tear up a little bit. Chris plays Frank–a man who has set his life aside to raise his young niece, Mary, after the sudden death of his genius sister. Quickly after enrolling Mary in public school after years of homeschooling, Frank–and consequently, his overbearing and manipulative mother–finds out that Mary may be gifted. Frank and Mary fight to stay together against the forces of his mother and the legal system. Chris gives a heartbreaking performance of a man just trying to do the best he can for the person he loves most in the world. This movie is the perfect rewatch for when you want an emotional rollercoaster (possibly with a side of ice cream).

Before We Go

This film centers on two people from different worlds who, for one fleeting night, are caught in a whirlwind adventure together. Chris plays Nick, an aspiring musician, who happens upon a woman in need of money to get home to her husband. Ever so chivalrous, Nick offers his help and thus begins a wild night traveling around the city trying to scrounge up some money for a train ticket. This movie is perfect for a hopeless romantic who believes you can learn something from everyone you meet.

Snowpiercer

In a drastic turn from Evans’ other roles, this film is set in a future where the world has been destroyed, leaving the remaining human population on a train that never stops moving. However, the caste system is wearing on those who reside in the back of the train. Chris Evans plays Curtis, a man from the last train car who leads the underprivileged in a revolt against the leaders. Arguably the most morally gray character of Evans’, Curtis appears the hero on all fronts, and yet still hides a horrible secret. Evans gives a thrilling display of a man fed up with the system who intends to give others hope under terrible circumstances. For fans of darker films that evoke themes of social justice, I’d say this one is for you.

Madi Miller

Wake Forest '23

I am from Raleigh, North Carolina, and I'm currently a junior majoring in Business and Enterprise Management with a concentration in International Business at Wake Forest University. I love photography, reading, road trips, Marvel movies, and volleyball! I hope to put myself out of my comfort zone and push beyond my boundaries in writing and creativity, and I am excited for this opportunity with Her Campus WFU!
Wake Forest Chapter of Her Campus