5 Last-Minute Halloween Costumes if You’re in a Pinch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

I am notoriously a procrastinator, especially when it comes to Halloween costumes. Most people start planning their looks in September. But for some reason, I decided to wait until the last possible moment to find a costume. This article is for last-minute planners like me. You can quickly transform everyday clothing into a fun and recognizable Halloween costume with a bit of imagination. I hope this helps, and happy Halloween!

Men in Black

This one is a classic. All you need for this look is a black mini skirt or leather pants, a black top, and a jacket. Optional props include a water gun, tie, and badge. As for footwear, black shoes or boots would fit the vibe best. You can accessorize with any black sunglasses, a tie, and even a water gun to give the full effect.

Cat

This costume couldn’t be more simple! Wear any bottoms – I would recommend a dark-colored skirt – and a black top. I recommend finding some cat ears for this look, but if you are out of time, you can focus on your makeup look by adding whiskers and a nose with eyeliner. Now you’ve got an instant cat costume.

Schoolgirl or nerd

Find a plaid skirt if you have one, a black bra, and an oversized white button-down. I’ve also seen some people add a tie to this look. Tape the center of some eye glasses to mimic the look of broken nerd glasses. You really can’t go wrong with this easy and cute outfit.

Pirate

I know, I know, the pirate costume is so popular. But we are not going for originality here. We’re aiming for something super easy and quick to put together in a pinch. Everyone has a black corset nowadays, so wear yours or borrow a friend’s paired with a white blouse and, again, a skirt. You can further add to the look by adding a bandana or gold waist chain.

Mummy

For a more spooky costume, start with a white mini skirt and white tube top. Find tan gauze bandages or toilet paper (I find the bandage wrap easier and more adhesive) and wrap the material over your clothes. Consider adding some dark eyeshadow on yourself to make the bandages or toilet paper look worn down. And boom, you’re a mummy!

Sarah Zehnder

Wake Forest '27

Hi! I'm Sarah Zehnder, and I am a freshman at Wake Forest University! My hometown is Orlando, Florida, and I plan on majoring in Psychology. I love meeting new people, hanging out with friends, and listening to music!