5 Environmentally Friendly Changes You Can Make This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

The holidays are one of the worst times for the environment. We all shop excessively for gifts, particularly from fast fashion companies or Amazon, which are convenient. If you’re interested in having a more sustainable holiday season, here are five things you can do.

1. Buy your presents second-hand

This holiday season, let’s avoid buying from Amazon or major fast fashion companies. The resources that go into making these products are a massive source of environmental waste and pollution. Shopping second-hand is a huge way to make a difference and reduce your carbon footprint. Besides, wouldn’t you rather give a unique gift than the same generic Amazon purchase that everyone else has?

2. Bring your own reusable bag when you go shopping

Reusable bags are one of the easiest changes you can apply to your daily life! Let’s avoid the waste that comes with getting multiple disposable bags when holiday shopping. You can even gift fun, reusable totes and encourage your friends and loved ones to opt for environmentally-friendly shopping.

3. Buy presents in-person instead of online

Ordering online ensures that you will receive a package in plastic or cardboard, which will usually end up in the trash. The amount of resources that go into wrapping and shipping online purchases is excessive, so consider buying presents in person, if possible with Covid restrictions in your area. 

4. Unplug your holiday lights when you’re not using them

Did you know that leaving things plugged in even when they’re turned off uses electricity and energy? Holiday lights can be a great way to make your home more festive, but remember to unplug them when they’re not being used to save electricity. 

5. Only ask for things you really need/consider not asking for anything at all

The holidays can be a time where you feel pressured to ask for a lot of things that you don’t really need. Before making your holiday wish list this year, think about whether you’re asking for things for the right reasons. Try to narrow your list down to what you know you truly need and will use. Or, consider asking for a donation to your favorite charity. 

Alice Bothwell

Wake Forest '22

Alice is currently a junior at Wake Forest University. She’s originally from New York City but is very excited to be living in the South!
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.