This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Although this conglomeration of novels is quite random and frankly a list of some of my favorite books, I hope everyone can find a book from this list that is attractive to them. Each novel is extremely different with different themes and levels of seriousness, but all of them are excellent books that have challenged me both intellectually and in my curiosity.

1. Jane Eyre: By Charlotte Brontё

Jane Eyre is a timeless romance novel perfect for a cold day curled up by the window. For those who don’t know what Jane Eyre is about, it’s a lot of intrigue, romance, drama, and surprises. It’s also quite depressing at parts (sorry!). Jane Eyre has been a favorite of mine for a very long time and I definitely recommend it to anyone who’s looking for a nice big book to settle down with over winter break.

2.  The Hate U Give: By  Angie Thomas

I just finished The Hate U Give for my English class. Although it is a young adult novel, the themes and the material are extremely mature and relevant in society today. The novel follows the story of Starr, a young girl who witnessed the death of a dear friend at the hands of a police officer. It is honestly one of the most captivating novels I have read in a very long time, and I enjoyed every second I spent reading the book. It’s a quick read, but it will make you think about it for hours after reading it. The compelling story has also been made into a movie, and I enjoyed comparing the book to the movie after finishing it.   

3.  The Stranger: By Albert Camus

The Stranger is a French classic that has been translated into English. In this novel, Albert Camus explores topics of absurdism, French colonialism, and isolation. This captivating novel follows the story of a man who commits murder and is put on trial. This book is very short, and in my opinion, the last few pages are some of the most memorable pages you will read in your life. The absurdity within the novel is both frightening and intriguing, and this is a perfect novel for anyone who hopes to delve into the worlds of philosophy and salvation.

4.  Fun Home: By Alison Bechdel

Fun Home is another book that I read in my English class this semester. It is a graphic novel, therefore a pretty quick read, that follows Bechdel and the story of her father and family. It is an enticing read, and I would definitely recommend this novel to anyone who is interested in literature. There are a lot of literary references within the book, and I found it to be an interesting and enjoyable read. Fun Home has also been turned into a musical, and Bechdel wrote another graphic novel titled, Are You My Mother?, that you should check out as well. 

5.  Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf: By Edward Albee

Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf is an absurd play that discusses the blur between reality and fiction. This is by far one of my favorite books of all time, and I recommend it to almost every person I meet. It’s an entertaining and thought-provoking read, and most likely will only take you an hour or two to read. Its plot follows four individuals having a party, and there is a turn of events at the end that no one could ever suspect.

Sloane Larsen

Wake Forest '23

My name is Sloane Larsen and I'm a freshman here at Wake Forest! I am super excited to be a writer for HerCampus and I plan on majoring in English with a double minor in stats and French. I'm from Providence, Rhode Island and I love fashion and traveling. I can't wait to learn more from my experience with this program!
Claire Fletcher

Wake Forest '20

Mathematical Business Major at Wake Forest University