4 Thanksgiving Treats to Spice Up Your Holiday!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Happy Thanksgiving, collegiettes! Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to relax at home with family, play with your dog, and see friends for the first time since you all shipped off to school in the summer.  But perhaps the best thing about being home for Thanksgiving is mom, or dad’s cooking. Maybe you’re going to a crazy family reunion with 30 cousins or maybe you’ll have a quiet evening in your dining room with grandma as a guest. Whether you are appealing to a large crowd or not, the chef will definitely appreciate all of the help she/he can get. Here are 4 Thanksgiving treats you should definitely try to lighten their load!

1. Thanksgiving Turkey Cookies:

What you will need…

• Premade sugar cookie mix
  • Candy corn (Halloween candy is on sale, luckily!)
  • M&Ms for the eyes
  • Nutella or fudge for “glue”
  • Orange frosting for decoration

This recipe is super simple and so fun to make. Follow the directions on the box for the premade sugar cookies. Once the cookies have been baked and cooled (cool-time is at least 15 minutes), it is time to decorate! Use Nutella or some kind of fudge to stick that leftover Halloween candy corn on the base (cookie) as the turkey’s feathers. Use that “glue” to stick on the M&M’s for the eyes as well. Finally, use orange frosting (if you do not have frosting, you can use the Nutella or fudge as well for this step) to design feet and a nose!

2. Turkey Oreo Candy Bites 

What you will need…

• Oreos
  • Reece’s peanut butter cups
  • Yellow decorative frosting
  • Candy corn
  • Nutella or frosting that can easily stick
  • Whoppers candy

These are much trickier but so worth the effort! This recipe from “Our Best Bites” recommends you make the candy corn feathers first. To do this, fill the insides of the Oreo with frosting and stuff the candy corn inside with the pointed tip first. Next, dab frosting on the other side of the cookie and stick it to the base cookie. “Our Best Bites” recommends you let it dry against a wall so it will not topple.  Next, stick the peanut butter cups on the base and then “glue” on the whopper for the head. Make sure you let everything dry, or else the turkeys will fall over. For a more complete list of instructions, visit the “Our Best Bites” website.

3. Acorn Bites

What you will need…

• Hershey kisses
  • Nutella or peanut butter
  • Mini chocolate chips
  • Nutter butter bites or mini vanilla wafers

These acorns have appeared at many Thanksgiving/ fall parties I have been to over the past two years! Have no fear, these are pretty easy to master. Use Nutella or peanut butter to “glue” the Hershey kisses to the nutter butter bites. Top the acorns with mini chocolate chips, and you’re all done! Easy as pie!

4. Pilgrim Hats

What you will need…

• Reece’s peanut butter cups
  • Orange frosting
  • Chocolate cookies
  • Nutella or peanut butter for the “glue”

We are going to leave you with one last easy and adorable Thanksgiving treat. Use peanut butter or Nutella to “glue” the peanut butter cups on the wafer cookies. Next, use orange colored frosting to decorate the hatband and buckle.

There you have it, collegiettes. Try these four adorable and yummy Thanksgiving treats that your guests will be sure to gobble up as either an appe-teaser or second dessert round after pie! 

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.