Style > Beauty

The 4-Step Skincare Routine That’s Transformed my Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

I’ve battled with my skin for years. My biggest problems were breakouts, acne scarring, redness, and enlarged pores. By the end of high school, I felt like I’d tried everything—from weekly masks to retinoids to luxury face washes—with no results. 

Recently, however, I’ve found a routine that’s made my skin look and feel amazing. I haven’t gotten a pimple in months, and my skin is smooth, soft, and dewy without makeup. My routine is only 4 steps and only takes 5 minutes!

Step 1: Cleanser

Aveeno Positively Radiant Brightening Cleanser

This brightening cleanser is safe for sensitive skin and non-comedogenic, so it’ll clean your face and boost your skin’s radiance without causing irritation or breakouts. I have super sensitive, acne-prone skin, so it’s a great match for me. Plus, it’s only $6.39!

Step 2: Toner

COSRX Refresh AHA BHA Vitamin C Daily Toner

To be completely honest, I bought this product on a whim at Ulta because I had a gift card. I started using it without changing anything else in my routine and, after a few weeks, noticed that my acne scarring had faded; my skin was clearer, brighter, and more even; and my pores seemed smaller. This is a bit pricey at $22, but worth every cent in my opinion. 

Step 3: Acid Treatment

The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

This gel targets textural irregularities, like dry patches or over-sized pores, and uneven tone. I’ve seen a huge decrease in breakouts, acne scars, and redness in the time I’ve been using this product. The Ordinary is always a great option for getting amazing products for cheap: a bottle of Azelaic Acid is only $7.90.

Step 4: Moisturizer

Daytime: Coola Organic Classic Face Sunscreen SPF 50

I know how important it is to wear sunscreen daily, but most sunscreens I’ve tried have clogged my pores or irritated my skin. Coola’s sunscreen doubles as a moisturizer, offers SPF 50 protection, and doesn’t feel greasy or cause breakouts. 

Nighttime: Glossier Priming Moisturizer

I first got this moisturizer as a gift and it’s now my go-to night cream. It soothes your skin, leaving it smooth and super soft. It’s a little pricier at $22 but lasts longer than you’d expect—I’ve had the same bottle for almost 6 months.

Disclaimer: I’m not a dermatologist, and what worked for me may not work for you. Remember to check the ingredients list for anything you may be allergic to and patch-test every product!

Julia Ochsenhirt

Wake Forest '24

Julia Ochsenhirt is a freshman at Wake Forest from Richmond, Virginia. She plans to double-major in English and Politics & International Affairs and loves hiking, good books, long drives with music blasting, and chocolate chip cookies.
Taylor Knupp

Wake Forest '21

Taylor is a senior from Harrisburg, PA studying Business and Enterprise Management. She is the outgoing Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus at WFU. Taylor plans to move to New York City after graduation to work as a Business Analyst at Verizon.