3 Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas That Your SO Will Cherish

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

There’s nothing wrong with getting a box of chocolates or a bouquet of roses for your Valentine but these cliché presents tend to be forgettable if you receive them every year. Expensive gifts may leave a bit more of an impression but it’ll leave you digging into your savings account. Unique gifts will leave a lasting memory and will make Valentine’s Day a bit more special for both of you. There’s no need to scrounge around for extra change. Unique gifts don’t have to be expensive. Here are some ideas for unique Valentine’s day gifts your SO will love!

1. An art commission

Art is perhaps the most unique thing you could give to someone because it’s original. No one else could own the same thing. A good gift to your SO would be a painting or a drawing you made yourself. A couple’s portrait would be adorable to hang up on display but you could even draw something more abstract. Not an artistic person? You could also find an artist and commission them to paint you a piece of art. There’s a lot of different places to look for artists open for commissions. Sometimes local art shows will have artists open for painting/drawing anything you want. Instagram and twitter artists will sometimes post their commission prices on their page. Another good place to look is Etsy. This artist creates unique watercolor paintings in a number of different dimensions! 

2. Text/Quote jar

Another unique gift that may take some time to create is a text message/quote jar. Buy a jar at your local craft store or dollar store. Take screenshots of cute text conversations you’ve had with your SO and import those to your computer. Print the screenshots and cut each text individually. These can be folded up and placed in the jar along with candy or other treats. If you two don’t text much, try writing down memorable quotes you may have shared with each other. Decorate the jar with some acrylic paints or you could leave it blank and tie it with a ribbon. I’d recommend leaving a note of some kind with the jar stating that your SO should reach into the jar once a day and pick a new message to read. This is the type of a gift your SO can enjoy every single day, not just Valentine’s Day.

3. A book about us

This is a gift that will take some weeks in preparation and planning but the end result will be something your SO will be overwhelmingly delighted with. Buy a blank journal or composition book. You’re going to write down a short story for each memorable time you spent with your SO and try to fill up the entire book. That’s going to be a lot of writing but that doesn’t necessarily mean you have to write an essay for every page. Feel free to write big on the days you didn’t do much and write small for jam-packed days. Fill the margins with doodles or glue photos of some dates you may have had. Title the book something along the lines of “A Book About Us.” This book is something you two could even read together on Valentine’s Day. You could even leave a blank page at the end so the both of you could write how your Valentine’s Day went.

Source: 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/717385281/hand-painted-personalized-watercolor?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=art+commission&ref=sr_gallery-1-3&frs=1 

Layla Ghiai

Wake Forest '20

Layla is a senior at Wake Forest University majoring in biology and minoring in writing. She is originally from Tampa, Florida but is glad she's now in North Carolina so she can fully enjoy four seasons. When she's not studying cell cycles and chemical reactions, Layla is most likely sketching cartoons, playing video games, taking photos of flowers, and/or drinking a very large cup of iced coffee. After graduation, Layla hopes to attend dental school.
Claire Fletcher

Wake Forest '20

Mathematical Business Major at Wake Forest University