10 Simple Ways to Be a Minimalist in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Pursuing the art of the minimalist lifestyle can seem daunting. Fortunately, decluttering doesn’t have to be very difficult, and it has major benefits. The very act of decluttering can reduce anxiety and boost feelings of accomplishment, increasing your confidence and self-efficacy. Introducing tiny practices of minimalism in your life can even save you some money, and is environmentalist approved!

1. Sell or donate clothes you don’t need.

Next time you decide to declutter your closet, ask yourself the following when you pull out each item: Have I wore this in the past month? Is this something I’ve already planned to wear for a future event? Do I still like this? If you answer “no” to two or more of those questions, consider donating it. You will be amazed at how much you can actually get rid of!

2. Buy your clothing second-hand.

And ask yourself the following when buying clothes: Do I need this item to fulfill an intended purpose? Do I like this item so much that I will get a decent amount of use out of it? Imagine all of the money you can save with this simple change of mindset!

3. Invest in a Kindle, Audible account, or buy your books off of iTunes.

It can be tempting to get wrapped up in the satisfaction that comes with owning a shiny new paperback. It can also take a toll on your wallet, your environment, and your living space.

4. Throw away old or expired toiletries and makeup products.

We all have them. That half-used bottle of drying nail polish, that old perfume sample we got from Sephora rewards, that expired moisturizer… ick. Throw it away. I promise you won’t need it.

5. Start shopping cruelty-free for makeup and hygiene products.

We are all guilty of impulsively buying that glitter face mask, that bright purple eyeliner or that cute little donut-shaped bath bomb. When we have no restrictions when it comes to purchasing makeup and hygiene products, over-spending can become a habit. With the anti animal-cruelty movement in its prime, there has never been an easier time to shop cruelty-free (that is, refraining from purchasing from brands that test their products on animals). Shopping cruelty free is a simple switch to make. Popular cruelty-free brands include Urban Decay, Too-Faced, Anastasia, and also drug store brands like NYX, Elf, Milani, and endless others. It’s 2019 people, let’s have our beauty without bunnies!

6. Toss out broken jewelry.

If you haven’t fixed it by now, you probably never will. Throw any lone earrings or earring backs into the mix as well.

7. Toss old makeup brushes.

Your skin thanks you.

8. Toss bottles and to-go cups that you never use.

Maybe keep one bottle to use consistently for water… and of course, it’s certainly convenient to have a to-go coffee cup at the ready if you suffer from caffeine addiction. But remember, there is no need to overspend again on that new halloween mug every single year.

9. Establish your own personal style.

Next time you are shopping for a new fall wardrobe, remember your own signature look. We all have our own personal ~aesthetic~ but it can be easily be clouded by the elaborate displays in our favorite shopping centers. When shopping, ask yourself: “Is this really me?” Pro-tip: Begin by establishing a general color scheme. What are your favorite colors to wear, and what colors compliment your features the most?

And Finally…

10. Start small. Don’t stress.

Decluttering can seem overwhelming. It doesn’t have to be. Take one tiny step at a time— even if that tiny step means throwing away a couple of old charger cables that are no longer functional for your electronics. If you have done something, you being mindful. When it comes to minimalism, mindfulness is key.

Sources: 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/in-practice/201802/6-benefits-uncluttered-space 

https://i2.wp.com/emmareed.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/beach-dark-daw…

http://freedesignfile.com/upload/2017/04/Internet-in-bed-drinking-coffee…

Scotland Martin is a junior at Wake Forest University and is currently pursuing a major in Psychology with minors in Writing and Italian. In addition to Her Campus, Scotland is involved with Psychology Club, K-12 tutoring, research in social psychology, and the Delta Zeta Sorority. She concentrates her writing on the topics of ethical spending and psychology.
Claire Fletcher

Wake Forest '20

Mathematical Business Major at Wake Forest University