This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

COVID-19 has impacted our lives in so many ways, especially now that students have returned to Blacksburg. Unsurprisingly, Virginia Tech has asked Hokie football fans to “homegate” with members of their family or pods to safely watch each game. This does not mean you have to miss out on the joys of tailgating! I love cooking for my roommates on the day of a football game, and I refuse to let that tradition end. Here are some of my favorite recipes that I have found over the years:

Ham, egg and cheese sliders

These sliders are one of the easiest foods I have ever made! Preparing the sliders only takes a few minutes and the recommended cook time gives me plenty of time to plan out the day. The serving sizes can be adjusted according to how many people will be attending your homegate, but remember to keep that number low with only close friends or family.

Overnight french toast casserole

If you are anything like me, you know that there is never a bad time for desserts. My favorite part about this dish is how convenient it is. Cooking time in the oven lets me prepare for game day, without the stress of constantly looking over it. This casserole will not only satisfy your sweet tooth, but it will keep you more than awake as you root for the Hokies from the comfort of your home. To spruce up the dish, consider adding fresh strawberries and blueberries or whipped cream.

Charcuterie Board

Impressing your guests on a budget has never been easier! Your board doesn’t have to expensive ingredients for it to look and taste delicious. The time of day is essential to your board. If the game is in the morning, fill your board with mini pancakes, fresh fruit, and bacon. If the game is during the afternoon or nighttime, you may spend a few more minutes in the grocery store. Inexpensive ingredients such as grapes and crackers can dominate your board while more expensive ingredients such as meats and cheeses can be used as fillers. To my Kroger fans, their cheese section never disappoints! Opt for small slices, rather than large blocks or wheels.

While I know that this football season will differ from previous seasons in many ways, I urge you to be considerate of your Blacksburg community. This includes maintaining a small pod, only attending events in which the maximum attendance is 15 people, unless the event is sanctioned or monitored by Virginia Tech, and wearing a mask at all times. Lastly, be vigilant and continue to check Virginia Tech’s COVID-19 updates. Stay safe, Hokies, and have a great first homegate!

Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.