rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Your Fear of Looking Stupid is Holding You Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

A few weeks ago I was scrolling through Pinterest (as I always do) when I came across an image that really resonated with me. It was one of those instances where the timing was just too perfect for it to be a coincidence. It was almost like I was meant to see that image in that exact moment. It was a quote that read “Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back!” 

I instantly got flashbacks to middle school. I thought about the time I dropped out of the school play because I was afraid of what others might think. I thought about high school, and all of the times I never spoke up and said what I actually wanted to say because I was afraid. Afraid of looking stupid. 

I thought about myself now. I thought about college and all of the relationships in my life. I thought about all of my decisions – the big and the small. I thought about the times I was pretending to be someone I wasn’t just to “fit in.” I thought about all of the instances where I made myself small when I absolutely didn’t need to. 

That one quote made me rethink everything, and it was exactly what I needed. 

In today’s society, it’s so easy to get wrapped up in what others think of you. Social media quickly went from a way to stay connected to a way to compare and judge others, including ourselves. Growing up we are taught that it’s good to stand out, yet no one wants to. Our fear of looking stupid is holding us back.

Although it’s so much easier said than done, I came to the realization that life is way too short to be afraid of looking stupid. Chase after that dream job. Wear what you actually want to wear. Speak up for yourself with no hesitation. Be the woman you’ve always wanted to be. 

Don’t change yourself for anyone. Be you – always. Who cares if you look stupid? Who cares what anyone else thinks? You’re a badass woman who is following her dreams and pursuing her passions. There is absolutely nothing shameful, embarrassing or stupid about that – ever. This is your sign to finally do the thing you’ve always wanted to do. 

I wish that I could go back in time and tell middle school Sarah that being in the school play is something to be proud of, or that she has all of the right in the world to stand up for herself when someone is being disrespectful, but I can’t. All I can do is try my best to be unapologetically me going forward – with absolutely nothing holding me back. 

So the next time you find yourself afraid of making a certain decision because of what others might think, ask yourself, “Is my fear of looking stupid holding me back?”

Image Source 1

Gif Sourced From Giphy.com

Sarah Carr

Virginia Tech '20

Sarah is a current senior majoring in multimedia journalism and minoring in sociology.