This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Many of us have already switched gears from summer to autumn. Given the opportunity, autumn would win the popularity competition out of the four seasons for me. With comfortable temperatures outdoor activities can be much more enjoyable, and with the changing of the leaves the view isn’t too bad either. Here are some ideas for your autumn adventures. 

Go hiking! —For me, the leaves changing color is the most incredible natural occurrence of the season. Our area has tons of spots to spend the day getting some exercise and enjoying the mountains. If you aren’t one for hiking, check out the Blue Ridge Parkway, there are plenty of overlooks to catch a great view of the area this time of year. 

Visit a pumpkin patch/corn maze – Spend your Sunday afternoon finding your way through a maze of corn, deciding on the perfect pumpkin to carve or picking apples to make some tasty dishes inspired by the season.

FOOTBALL– Some of us wait all year long for this! Tailgating is the social highlight of the season. If you aren’t able to attend the games in person, host a pre-game/watch party for your favorite team *cough cough* the Virginia Tech HOKIES!! Eat all you can waiting for kickoff and wash it down with your choice adult beverage. 

Evening Entertainment – If you are in need of some evening activities for the months to come, invite some friends over to spend some time around the bonfire. Try roasting weenies and for dessert prepare some smores. If you’re lucky enough to have a clear night you might be able to do some stargazing or even catch a meteor shower! 

Farmers markets and festivals galore – Localfarmers markets have become a huge trend in recent years! Right about now, vendors are starting to really harvest in the produce – tomatoes, corn, squash, peppers, even baked goods. Eat and buy local, folks! Pick up some homemade candles and a bouquet of sunflowers for your kitchen table to brighten your day. This time of year also offers countless festivals, which is a personal favorite. These are guaranteed events to be happening weekly in spirit of the season. 

One, two, three, Vogue!– Trade your bathing suits and rompers for cardigans and boots. Fall fashion includes a wide variety of things to choose from depending on your comfort level and style, so get out there and work it girl! As if you needed an excuse to take yourself shopping!

Whether you love autumn or not, hopefully this has inspired you to get out there and have some fun!

Image Sources 1/2/3/4

Eva Cregger

Virginia Tech '20

An old soul with modern views of the world that loves movies, music, traveling and anything sweet. Majoring in Communication Studies at Virginia Tech. I am a proud Hokie & HerCampus member
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.