Why It’s Important to be Thankful Now More Than Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

This year has taken so much from so many people. People have not only missed out on long-awaited plans, but so many have also lost their jobs, their livelihoods, and most unfortunately, their loved ones. There are countless things we have lost this year, not only as college students, but as a society, and it would be easy to write off Thanksgiving this year as a meaningless day. But I think it is more important this year than any other to focus not on what we have lost, but rather on all we have to be grateful for.

A lot of people right now are feeling robbed because we all lost something, and while some things were more impactful than others, it’s only human nature to miss or mourn what was once guaranteed. So many students had to graduate high school from their living rooms, spend a milestone birthday at home alone, or have recieved a totally warped college experience — or no experience at all in some cases. For most people though, I think it’s the human interaction that we miss most. The in-person classes, the spontaneous hangouts, or the weekend memories that used to be the standard. Although so many people have begun to ignore the coronavirus guidelines, even as the number of cases continues to climb, it is those of you who are doing what they can to flatten the curve — even though you gave up something that you loved or were looking forward too — that are doing something of importance for your own health or for that of those around you. Thank you for keeping people safe.

Elbow tap
Photo by Gustavo Fring from Pexels

For all the things that the coronavirus has taken from us, it’s important to remember all that we have in our lives. Thanksgiving is not often seen as a very important holiday; Halloween has exciting costumes, candy, and scary movies, and as soon as “spooky season” ends, we often jump ahead to the cozy holiday spirit that Christmas brings, with the classic songs, fuzzy sweaters, and family dinners. Radio stations have already begun playing Christmas music on an endless loop by the time Thanksgiving comes around, so the Thanksgiving holiday tends to fade into the background. It is so easy to focus on all the negative things in our lives, especially with everything that has happened this year, but Thanksgiving is the perfect time to not only stop focusing on the negative, but to appreciate all the positive things in our lives. We take so many things for granted every day, such as a loving family, friends, the privilege of a college education, or even just having clean drinking water and a warm place to live. 

A great way to consider what we have to be thankful for this Thanksgiving is to take a few minutes to appreciate all that we have by making a gratitude list. A gratitude list is exactly what it sounds like, just a simple list of things in our lives that we are thankful for. On the surface this may sound trivial, but after the first few obvious things, it becomes more of a challenge. Every time you think of something new to add to the list you are reminded and humbled all over again. The beginning of a gratitude list might look something like this:

1. A loving family
  2. Dependable friends
  3. A college education
  4. Access to clean water and plenty of food
  5. My health

The more you can add to a list, whether in sheer number of items or how detailed each of them are, allows you to reflect more on each. In some cases, just acknowledging that somethings may not be ideal can provide a healthy dose of perspective. For example, going into more depth on each of the previous items may look like:

1. While my family has its problems, I am so lucky to live with my dad who loves and provides for me, and to have two siblings who I know will always be there for me.
  2. I am so lucky to have friends in my life who I know will never judge me, always love and guide me, and have my best interest in mind, even when I don’t.
  3. While this semester has been drastically different, I am so lucky to be attending a fantastic college to get an education that will help set me up for a better future.
  4. I am so lucky that I do not have to question the quality of water that I drink or wonder where my next meal is coming from.
  5. While I have a few health conditions that do cause me trouble, I am so lucky to be of sound mind and body, and to be able to do what I enjoy without hindrance.

This mindful practice can provide a few minutes of relief during a time of uncertainty. If you are spending Thanksgiving with family this year, maybe take time before dinner to go around the table and have each person say something they are thankful for this year. Take a pause from the impending Christmas spirit and consider what Thanksgiving is really about, and how it might help to provide a dose of humility, perspective, and healing to you and your family.

person holding rectangular black wooden photo frame with Give. Thanks. print
Simon Maage/Unsplash

Loralee Hoffer

Virginia Tech '23

Loralee Hoffer is a senior at Virginia Tech majoring in Psychology with minors in Creative Writing and Adaptive Brain and Behavior. Through her writing, she enjoys sharing her experiences with health and wellness, relationships, body positivity, and campus life. Proud to be a part of the Her Campus team, she hopes to empower women and gain valuable experience, education, and friends along the way.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!