Why I Started Being Selfish on the Sidewalk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

As a college student, I feel like I walk everywhere. On sidewalks, on dirt paths, across the Drillfield, through the grocery store, in the parking garage — it never ends. My feet don’t stop moving unless I’m sitting behind a desk. I used to walk through campus very aware of my surroundings, noticing who was walking my way or who was trying to pass me from behind. I tried to accommodate those walking around me by getting out of their way — thus going out of my way — to make sure they wouldn’t run into me. How silly is that? 

This month I started being more selfish and decisive with my steps. Call it a “hot girl walk” or what have you, but I walk with purpose now, and I don’t get out of the way of people walking straight toward me. If I can go out of my way to move over for them, they can do the same for me. Why should I always be the one to change my pace for others?

I think this is very telling to my character; I’m a very passive, people-pleasing person. I’ll make sacrifices for others, but won’t expect them to do the same in return. It’s more than just being selfish on the sidewalk; it’s learning how to be confident and take more than I give. Whoever said that giving and taking was only for personal relationships was grossly misguided — why shouldn’t that apply to strangers as well? We see hundreds of people every day. Why not move out of their way when walking the same path? Why not move your cart just a little bit to the left when you see someone coming down the aisle at the grocery store? Why not let someone merge on the highway? 

So, yes, I’m being a little bit selfish. So what? I think I deserve it by now. I think, as women, we should all be a little selfish on the sidewalk. Make men cater to us for a change. Instead of ducking out of the way when a man is walking toward me, I keep walking in a straight line and let them make the first move out of the way. I don’t even do that awkward half smile anymore to acknowledge my passivity. I keep a straight face and a straight line.

Ally Ford

Virginia Tech '22

About me: a senior at Virginia Tech pursuing a dual degree in multimedia journalism and Spanish with a minor in professional and technical writing who enjoys driving with no destination, watching sunsets on the beach, mint chocolate chip ice cream and writing for Her Campus.