This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

For as long as I can remember I have always loved tattoos. Both of my parents have tattoos.I can remember as a child staring at the snake on my mom’s back and thinking about how one day I was going to be cool and get something like that on my back. I can remember tracing the crown on my dad’s arm that had my initials written on it with Princess drawn above it in a girly script because “I was always his little Princess.”A lot of their friends had tattoos– some only one or two while others had so many that they were like walking canvases.

I got my first tattoo at age 15. It was a birthday present and though I had planned what I wanted for months I didn’t pick my design until the day before. I was trying to hide it from my mother so I got it on my foot, one of the most painful places, and it turned out to be a great idea. Though the design left much to be desired, the placement was amazing. When I wear certain shoes it looks extremely pretty. After that I loved tattoos, and I just knew that I would have many more in the years to come.

I’m almost 20 now and I have seven tattoos (technically eight because two are really close together) and at this point I don’t see myself stopping anytime soon. I have a myriad of tattoos, from a tribal design turtle to a watercolor flamingo. Each tattoo has a different story and a different meaning behind them. I have admiration and love for each one.Though some are not my favorite, I do not regret what I have put on my body.

I plan to cover my back, my sides, and probably my feet by the time I’m 30. If I could I would probably cover my entire body like the man who looks like a walking skeleton. While some people question my decisions and criticize my choice to cover my body with art, I don’t let it get to me. I think that tattoos are a form of art and the decision to put them on your body is yours and only yours alone. I’m addicted to tattoos and while some may see that as a bad thing, I think it is what makes me different. I will never stop loving tattoos and I hope that one day people will learn to see tattoos as art and not just symbols of rebellion or a hard life.

Image Sources:

Gifs from Giphy.com

Ashleigh Griffin

Virginia Tech '19

Ashleigh is a graduate from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.  She received a Bachelor's of Science in Food Science and Technology. Her future career will hopefully combine both her knowledge of the food industry and the importance of marketing and brand management. 
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!