This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Just like dyeing your hair, what clothes you wear or what music you listen to, wearing makeup is a personal choice. When I say that I don’t wear makeup, in no way am I throwing shade at those who do, it’s just something I never really got into. Whether it’s beauty influencers on social media or people I encounter in my daily life, I honestly admire the way people are able to express themselves through makeup, I just know I could never do the same. From pure laziness to self-esteem, there are many reasons why I refuse to wear makeup, and it’s something I feel strongly about. 

I have worn makeup only once in my life and it lasted a solid five minutes. In middle school I came across a tube of mascara in my bathroom and decided to put it on my already long eyelashes, resulting in spider lashes that touched my eyebrows and cheeks. After a few pictures to capture the moment, I rushed to rinse it off in the sink, which I’ve since learned is not the appropriate way of doing so. Along with being completely inexperienced, the main reason I don’t wear makeup is because I’m honestly just too lazy to do it. Waking up and getting ready in the morning is hard enough as it is, and after taking a shower, getting dressed and doing my hair, an hour of my day is gone and I’m already ready to go back to sleep. I just don’t see the need to add another step to my morning routine, and if I’m being totally honest, I just don’t care enough about what people think of my face. That being said, I know the reason why people choose to wear makeup is for their own satisfaction, not that of others, but if I already feel indifferent about my face with and without makeup, then what’s the difference?

Oval Brown Wooden Framed Hanging Mirror
Nadine Wuchenauer / Pexels

Another big reason in my personal argument against makeup is what it does to your self-esteem. A part of me is scared that if I ever were to start wearing makeup, to the point where I got good at it, I would start to like myself more with it than without it. Even though I have insecurities as I am now, I would never want my natural face to be one of those insecurities. I strongly believe that I was made to look the way that I do and that I should learn to embrace that. Not that makeup hides who you truly are in any way, I just think that natural beauty should be appreciated more. I also believe that all of the little imperfections on my face — freckles, acne scars, little wrinkles or pores — are all what help make me me. My face has changed so much over the years, and part of me likes waking up in the morning and recognizing that fact when I look in the mirror. I’ve worked so hard to accept my body over the years and I guess part of me just feels like wearing makeup would be a step backwards in some way. I really just want to be able to look in the mirror and be happy with my natural self looking back in the reflection. 

Last winter I began to break out in horrible cystic acne all over my face due to a hormonal imbalance caused by a birth control method my body obviously did not like. My self-esteem dropped through the floor, to the point where I avoided socializing with other people and constantly worried about my appearance. In February of this year I said no more and made a change, one that I thank myself for every day. Now when I look in the mirror and see my almost clear skin, I feel a happiness I didn’t know before. It’s such a relief to not see the angry red lumps on my face that caused such depression, and I wouldn’t want to cover up how far I’ve come. I have a new sense of appreciation for my skin, and I certainly wouldn’t want to risk getting any more acne by coating it in makeup. Going out places and showing off — if you can even call it that — my skin feels amazing, and it’s a weight off my shoulders not having to be insecure about acne.

Photo by Retha Ferguson from Pexels

Personally, I don’t see myself ever wearing makeup. After everything I’ve been through, all I want is to feel comfortable in my own skin and I think I’ve finally reached that point with my face. With friends, family and a boyfriend who all appreciate me the way I am, I really have no reason to change how I look. And honestly at the end of the day, I prefer the way I look without makeup, and that’s all that matters. Learning to love yourself, makeup or not, is so important and although it can be hard, it’s worth it. Makeup or no makeup, clear skin or not, your natural beauty is incomparable and worth your appreciation. 

Ally Ford

Virginia Tech '22

About me: a senior at Virginia Tech pursuing a dual degree in multimedia journalism and Spanish with a minor in professional and technical writing who enjoys driving with no destination, watching sunsets on the beach, mint chocolate chip ice cream and writing for Her Campus.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!