Why Do Good Girls Like Bad Guys?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Why Do Good Girls Like Bad Guys?

If Unsolved Mysteries did an episode on this, I swear on my well-being they still wouldn’t figure out this debacle. The great mystery of why good girls love bad guys continues to be another tally on my “why did I even go for his type?” list.  So to all the John Mayer’s of the world (Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jennifer Aniston, Taylor Swift, Minka Kelly, need I say more?) we’re calling you out on your bad boy antics and sending all our lady-friends a little food for thought. Let’s get down to business, shall we?  Here’s what I’d like to call a “nip it in the bud” list of why the good girls of the world love bad boys, oh-so much:

Taboo:

When your best friend, your sister and your roommate tell you not to go for this guy, you find it your calling in life to prove them wrong. I’m talking about the one guy who everyone knows is deemed un-dateable.  OK, so his track record with girls isn’t exactly flawless and to be completely honest he hasn’t been in a real relationship in God knows how long. But for some reason you’re determined to be the one girl who changes that. Honey, I’m sorry but your idea of changing this bad boy will only go so far. You won’t be the girl who helped him get his sh*t together or the one who made it to girlfriend status, but the one who boosted his ego.

The Thrill of It:
Wiz Khalifa couldn’t have said it better, “most girls wanna hide the fact that the thrill they chasing.” I mean isn’t it the truth? There’s something exhilarating about going after someone who isn’t considered dating material. Is it because they’re not considered the nice boys who have only been candidates in your dating process? Or is it that these types don’t play by the rules? Whatever it may be, for whatever reason, we find it necessary to win over this type of boy. Let’s just hope you really love the chase, because that’s all it’s ever going to be.

Strung Along:

Being a marionette doll is not something I want to resemble, but for some reason girls are becoming dolls in their own game. Ladies, you know what I’m talking about when I say bad guys are the type who will text you one-minute and the next won’t respond. He seems excited about your so-called hang out for a few and the next you don’t hear from him in days. It’s like those few days you’re talking to him you’re pumped he likes you, but the days he doesn’t you’re upset. In all seriousness, it’s a real-life rollercoaster of emotion. No matter how disappointed he makes you feel, you keep coming back for more. It’s an inevitable cycle, a never-ending story, a lose-lose situation and the worst part is many of you won’t stop the game.

Stamp of Approval:
Winning this type of boy is the ultimate goal, or so it seems. He’s the smart-ass in class, the guy who’s laid-back about everything and the one who struts with all the confidence a person can possess. You envy his lax attitude and long to be more carefree. He defines everything you’re not and it makes you want him more. You’re high-strung, he’s relaxed; you’re a perfectionist, he’s careless; you’re predictable, he’s spontaneous, you get the concept. When he treats you remotely well, it’s as if you’ve won his stamp of approval, the balls in your court, you won the unwinnable, but don’t be fooled by his charming ways, soon enough he’ll be on to his next lady-friend.

I’m not saying there’s no hope for the John Mayer’s of the world or that he won’t in fact, “[I’m Gonna] Find Another You,” (or anyone for that matter) I’m just saying us girls need to realize he’s the bad boy of all boys. Don’t get caught up in chasing the guy who you think matters the most because in the end it’s just a game.

Images:
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgkyzprU291qbpydeo1_500.png
http://popawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/John-Mayer-RS1.jpg

Laura Baugh

Virginia Tech

Laura Baugh is a senior at Virginia Tech where she is double majoring in Communications and Film. When not busy with school, Laura enjoys editing film and video, being the general manager at VTTV, spending time with her amazing sisters in Gamma Phi Beta, playing her guitar, and reading Her Campus! She is also obsessed with her school's athletics. Go Hokies!