This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

For the past two years, spring has looked completely different compared to years past. During springtime last year, the pandemic was in full swing eliminating graduations, concerts and sporting events that were synonymous with springtime; and the same events continue to be canceled today, one year later. But the difference between this year and last year is that there is light at the end of the tunnel, there is an end in sight. With over 15% of the total population of the United States is fully vaccinated, according to the CDC as of right now, and a massive rollout for anyone who wants to be vaccinated beginning on April 18th, things will hopefully start to return to some semblance of normalcy.

\"COVID-19 VACCINE\" typed on paper in a typewriter
Photo by Markus Winkler from Unsplash

Individuals across the country will one day soon begin and be able to experience the activities, events, and celebrations that come with the warmer weather, brighter skies, and rebirth of life. We will soon be able to attend graduation ceremonies that our friends and family worked so hard to get to and, once again, be able to see our loved ones that are high-risk or have fought on the front-lines against the virus. These warmer, brighter days are just around the corner.

Graduates throwing caps in the air
Photo by Emily Ranquist from Pexels

Soon we will be able to stand in crowds of thousands of people cheering on our favorite sports teams or screaming at the top of our lungs along to our favorite artists and bands at their post-pandemic shows. The energy throughout the arenas and venues permeating through our bodies until we all become one with the sport and one with the music. This surge of energy that everyone feels when attending one of these events will be happening before you know it. 

rock concert
Photo by Vishnu R Nair from Unsplash

One day soon travel restrictions will be lifted and the countries around the world will open back up to their inhabitants. Families separated by country borders and friends who live across the world will be able to see each other once again. Hidden wonders of the planet will be discovered and visited and people will be able to go and see the places they’ve always dreamed of seeing. Any day now we will be able to go wherever we want to go and experience all these things again as we begin to return to our “normal” lives.

Person running
Photo by Emma Simpson from Unsplash

But none of this is possible without continuing to remain safe and abide by the rules and regulations emplaced by the CDC and the government. If we don’t continue to follow these rules (i.e. wear our masks and maintain social distancing) until the majority of the population is fully vaccinated, then all the progress we’ve made throughout the past two years will be for nothing. I know everybody is ready for things to finally go back to normal, believe me when I say that I am definitely no exception to that statement. But in order for the things that we are all looking forward to occurring, we need to continue to remain safe and be mindful of others; only then will we once again be able to do our favorite spring and summer activities and live our normal lives one again.

Alexandra Brooks

Virginia Tech '22

Alexandra is a senior at Virginia Tech studying Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience with a minor in Political Science. A 5'2-ish Canadian-American who will stop whatever she is doing to go pet a dog, Alexandra chooses to live everyday by the motto, "Just be yourself." When not stressing out over her major or writing for Her Campus, Alexandra can be found working out, reading, listening to music, and hanging out with her friends and family.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!