self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

What To Do When You Just Don’t Feel Like Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

We all have days when all we want to do is sit in the shower and cry, and the start of a new semester can be especially hard on your mental health. It’s important to have some positive things to do when you’re having a rough day, so below is a list of things I like to do when I’m having one.

Take a nap

I’m a nap lover, therefore I advise you all to try taking a nap. I always find that naps are refreshing, especially when I’m not feeling well mentally. They give your body the rest it often needs. Naps are especially good if school or your mental health has affected your sleep schedule.

Read

One of my favorite things to do is start a new book. I find reading relaxing, so I usually like to open up a book when I’m feeling down. I think it’s nice to have a way to escape reality every now and then. Some of my favorite books are Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo, Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren, and anything by Colleen Hoover.

Watch a movie 

Put on your favorite pajamas and grab a snack because it’s movie time. I absolutely love curling up in bed and watching a movie. I especially love going on Disney+ or getting a group of friends together to watch something.

Listen to music that will put you in a good mood

Listening to music always puts me in a happy mood. I have many different playlists to choose from when I’m in the mood to listen to something. When you’re feeling down, don’t constantly listen to sad music — it will only keep your mood low. It’s usually best to listen to something upbeat to try to elevate your bad day.

Hang out with some friends

Last but definitely not least, spend time with some friends. Hanging out with my friends always tends to lift my spirits, even if it’s just for a little while. If you don’t feel like going anywhere, I recommend sitting and talking or playing a game together.

I know some days are harder than others, but don’t give up. Hopefully you can find one thing on this list that will work for you, or maybe you already have something that already helps you. Whatever that thing is, hold onto it and remember it for the next time you have an off day.

Katie Tuggle

Virginia Tech '25

Hi, my name is Katie and I'm a senior majoring in psychology. I love being around my friends and family, chasing sunsets, listening to music, and driving around. I am so happy to be a part of the Her Campus writing team because I feel like I have found a place where my voice gets heard. Her Campus allows me to tell my stories without being interrupted and it gives me a place to be my true self.