This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Ah yes, Black Friday, the day after you give thanks and remind yourself all that you are grateful for in this world, only to hear stories of people getting trampled for TV’s at Wal-Mart or fighting for a new eyeshadow palette at Sephora. Retail workers do not get enough credit for the work they do every day, let alone Black Friday. As a seasonal retail worker myself, I’ve worked this day for two years straight now, and want to explain that if you think shopping on this day is stressful, imagine working it.

I’ve worked in retail for about two years now as a part-time associate in one of northern Virginia’s largest malls. Now, don’t get me wrong, working both of the semi-annual sales, end of summer sales, and Christmas eve have their own separate share of stressors. From the store being a complete mess at closing to arguing with customers about the smallest issues, those behind the counters and wandering the store floor deal with a lot more than we should.

Black Friday is a different type of stress; the store I work at is usually open for a full 24-hours, Thursday into Friday, and the stress begins when you’re with your family.  

I can’t explain the guilt I felt when I knew I couldn’t spend as much time as I wanted to with my cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents on Thanksgiving night because I had to switch clothes and make it to the mall’s parking garages for the fear of having to circle them for an empty spot and dashing to the store to clock in. Here is a tip for anyone who enjoys shopping on Black Friday: get to the mall for doorbusters no later than 10 pm, trust me, you’ll find easy parking and be able to get in a semi-decent line for whichever store you want. 

Now, the only things I take with me into my breakroom are my coat, cell-phone, and car keys. I have my coat hung with the rest of my coworkers if I’m lucky; over half of the staff is in the store, whether out on the floor and behind the counter or taking care of miscellaneous tasks to keep the cleanup to a minimum (or so we try). The break room is full of typical Thanksgiving dishes and desserts, along with beverages from water to eggnog, and of course cold brew coffee. This mini potluck is a tradition for the associates and helps keep us from having to leave and reenter the store or even attempting to spend our breaks in line waiting for meals at the various restaurants.

When you make it to the floor of the store, that’s when you are in complete ‘customer service’ mode, ready with your best manners and having your fellow associates ready to help you desensor, fold, and pack away the items you’ve scanned. It’s loud, busy, and most of the time you don’t realize the fabric caught on the button of a shirt, the scratches from the sensor pins, or papercuts from receipts and tags; you’re in a state of rush and wanting to get everything done for the customer in front of you. Many patrons are understanding and very sweet, staying patient with you while you ring them up, but others aren’t as nice and I personally have witnessed fellow coworkers and colleagues get yelled at and borderline harassed on the floor of the store or at the cash register. 

I worked retail during this pandemic, and between the plexiglass, masks, music, and cleaning procedures we are required to act upon, it’s been difficult to remain safe and secure while behind the register. Black Friday is one of the most crowded experiences I have ever witnessed. I used to simply just shop on the day but after understanding and physically being a part of the working aspect of the day, I have a newfound respect for retail workers and managers.  

To my fellow workers, I hope you treated yourselves to a well-deserved reward and were able to catch up on the rest you needed after long and tiring shifts such as the ones you took. Remember that if you feel sick please go get tested and make sure you take care of yourself before anything else. If you went out shopping the day of Black Friday, and begin to feel symptoms, get tested and quarantine until you receive your results. This is a stressful time, and we need to be extra vigilant in taking care of each other this holiday season. 

Shanzeh is a senior at Virginia Tech and is originally from Northern Virginia. She's studying multimedia journalism and minoring in international studies; you can usually find her in a cozy corner with a cup of coffee most likely listening to a podcast or watching a news relay. Shanzeh hopes to become an international correspondent and has aspirations to be writing, reporting, and photographing for a news outlet in the future.
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.