This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Models gathered in the Wallace atrium on January 31st and February 1st to show a panel of judges their best walks in preparation for Washed Ashore, the Fashion Merchandising and Design Society’s 2017 Fashion Show. 

“I’m excited—it’s a nervous excitement. I’m not a natural leader but I can do it when I put my mind to it. It’s always fun knowing that deep down inside I’m just as nervous as they are. I usually tell them and that makes them feel a lot better.”  – Jasmine Johnson, on her second year as a model coach

“I’m really excited for the theme because in the past the themes have been on slightly the darker, edgy side which I personally love but this will be fun to have something new.” – Anna Gaugler, on her third year modeling

“I have no modeling experience modeling, but my mother was a model. She was once on even on a Super Bowl commercial so I heard about her experiences growing up so I decided to give it a shot” – Allie Rathert, on her first time at model auditions

“One of my friends joined FMDS last year, and she sent the model calls ad to me. It started as a joke and now I’m here.” – Will Orrison, on being one of three guys at the Wednesday night audition

Stay tuned for more of our coverage leading up to Washed Ashore. The show date is set for April 13th, 2017, and is hopeful to draw even larger crowds than previous years.

Amanda Tinkleman

Virginia Tech

Lover of good coffee, puns, and coloring.
Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.