This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

On the evening of April 13, Virginia Tech’s Fashion Merchandising and Design Society presented their biggest fashion show yet. After a year of preparation, Washed Ashore finally came to fruition. Fashion Show Coordinators, Sarah Minnix and Channing Cason, were both excited about how great the show turned out. With hundreds of viewers in the audience, over models took the stage to present over 20 student designers’ work.

Among those models and designers were a number of Her Campus Virginia Tech team members. Our own Campus Correspondent, Kaley Roshitsh, even took home the award for fan favorite fashion designer.

Bryli Long, vice president of HC VT, designed for the show for the first time. She watched the show from the front row in the designer section as her three looks were shown on the runway.  

“It was amazing [seeing my designs]. It was so rewarding, like everyone said, seeing something that you were so unsure of in the process of making and then seeing it come down the runway, it was just a good feeling,” said Long.

Chera Longfritz, upcoming Campus Correspondent for HC VT, modeled for the first time for two designers.

“I expected it to be a lot more stressful actually, but we ran [the show] once and then Channing and Sarah were like, ‘you guys are good, you can just hang out.’ Very easy process,” said Longfritz.

Similarly, contributing writer and photographer Allie Rathert modeled for the first time. She modeled designs from Sundee Best and 310 Rosemont, local Blacksburg boutiques.

“My favorite part of the show was honestly the rehearsals, getting to know the other models–we had a lot of fun with it. It was something completely unusual for me so I was going outside my comfort zone,” said Rathert.

Other behind the scenes efforts were delivered by the Her Campus staff. Editor and writer, Sara Joy-Hogg, gave models the ultimate glow backstage by contributing her makeup expertise.

Liz Blair and Taylor-Nicole Bush, both writers for Her Campus Virginia Tech, were also involved. Blair assisted with hair, while Bush was an active contributor to the smooth production of the show as a stager, having multiple models to dress for the runway.

Overall, Washed Ashore proved to be a success — from numerous talented designers to sassy models to stagers and coordinators who made the show happen. Many praise is to the team involved, as so much time and effort goes into each production. We can’t wait for next year’s show!

Amanda Tinkleman

Virginia Tech

Lover of good coffee, puns, and coloring.
Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.