Virginia Tech For Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I can’t believe we’re more than halfway through the semester. This is my junior year at Tech, and I’m appalled by how quickly college has gone by. It seems like just yesterday I was loading up my stuff into my mom’s car, driving four hours in the pouring rain, and unpacking my life into West AJ.

All of this hit me when I went to the Ring Premiere and realized we’re getting old and college is quickly fleeting. I was planning on graduating a semester early (ew, I know) to save money because I’m out-of-state. Don’t worry though, I wouldn’t graduate and be a real person, I want to get a fun internship or go abroad. Anyways, I went to my advisor and said “Listen, I just need you to tell me I can 100 percent graduate early” and when he said “I don’t see why not,” I burst into tears. After my meeting, I called my mom and cried. “But I’m not ready! I don’t want college to be over,” I told her. It all hit me at once. I realized that I only have two and a half semesters left here. I even thought about going to graduate school just to milk my college experience a little bit more!

When I look back on my freshman and sophomore years, I can’t remember how hard I studied, what my grades were, or even what classes I took. I can only remember the crazy times I had with my roommate in our tiny, tiny room. Or the random nights we sat in the “study lounge” and watched all the Wrong Turn movies. All I have are good memories.

I’m one to take life too seriously. I’m constantly worried about my GPA and about what I’m going to do after college. But this week I realized that this semester has been my favorite so far. I didn’t know why, because my classes are the hardest I’ve had (thanks Comm Law). I realized that it’s because I’ve taken the time to appreciate every second of this semester. I’ve done random things with my friends that have made this semester hilarious. I’ve gone to the circus, fed the cows at Virginia Tech’s dairy, driven to Richmond at 12:00 on a Thursday night.

This week, I tried to remember things that happened to me in high school. It was really hard; I can
remember select things about playing volleyball or going to Friday night football games, but overall the experience is a blur. I am determined not to let that happen with my experience at Tech. Not to sound completely corny, but I know that I will be a Hokie for life. When I go back to South Carolina, I wear every Virginia Tech shirt I have. If I ever see someone with a Tech shirt on at home, I immediately introduce myself and start a conversation. If we’re driving down the highway and we see someone with a Tech car magnet, my mom immediately rolls down the window and gobbles, yelling “GO HOKIES!!!” I know I’m going to make the most of these last semesters, and I know I will never forget my time at Tech. I will forever be proud to be a Virginia Tech Hokie.

It’s the maroon and orange, it’s walking through the drillfield on a sunny fall day, it’s Enter Sandman, it’s Beamerball, it’s Hokie Grill, and ABP and the creepy colors of Owens. It’s explaining to everyone that a Hokie is not a turkey. It’s having a brain freeze from walking to class. It’s the best four years (maybe five!) of your life. 

Caitlin is a senior Professional Writing major. Besides Her Campus, she is the Internal Social Chairwoman for Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. She loves the beach, animals, shopping, yoga, and Hokie football!