This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Netflix has been cranking out a ridiculous amount of original shows recently, so many that it can be hard to keep up. Most of us have probably watched one and started a few, or have seen all the commercials but taken no action. A great way to get familiar with the new shows is to check out all the Her Campus and Buzz Feed articles about them, including the ones like “Virginia Colleges as Office Characters.” I have crafted an article a bit more specific to Virginia Tech that will hopefully familiarize you with all that Netflix has to offer and let you learn more about our great campus.

Orange is the New Black – Slusher Tower

There are lots of people shoved into one place and they are all angry about it. Despite this, they turn out to be some of your favorite people. These residents are survivors and could probably come out on top of any situation. Pull the fire alarm and you might get shanked.

Stranger Things – Squires Student Center

Lots of random events are always happening without warning, you really never know what’s around the corner and there are almost always kids around for no apparent reason.

The Crown – Burruss Hall

This decadent building is the crown of our dazzling campus. It is classy, beautiful and full of secrets. It has been around for a while now and many powerful people have their offices in there, yet most of us haven’t visited since orientation. Similarly, we were all originally excited by previews for The Crown, but have not gotten around to watching it yet.

House of Cards – Goodwin Hall

It is highly acclaimed and full of people that do or eventually will make a lot of money. It will suck you in and is actually terrifying. Security in there is tight, it even monitors your steps. This TV show is all about politics, as is who can get into the lounge that hangs over the lobby in Goodwin.

Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life – Wallace Hall

Everyone loves it but it has seen better days. This building flooded for three days straight last semester just like our eyes when we found out there was going to be more of Gilmore Girls. It is full of inspiring women like Lorelai Gilmore studying human development and fashion.

Series of Unfortunate Events – Newman Library

There have been mixed reviews, but we all like the books. Our library contains characters similar to the Series: bookworms researching between the infinite shelves; baby freshmen that will bite you for talking on third floor; a team of engineers inventing the future in the group study room; a handful of librarians with curious tattoos that would definitely not care if we all froze to death in our attic bedrooms

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt – McBryde Hall

She is kind of a mess and took some time to warm up to, but we’ll protect her at all costs.

Bloodline – Architectural Annex

Like the Bloodline character Mendelsohn, the Annex is the weird brother on campus that shows up and messes with everything. The structure of this brick building could probably fall apart at any moment, just like the star family of this show.

Wet Hot American Summer: The First Day of Camp – Lane Stadium

What happens in Lane Stadium stays in Lane Stadium.

Haters Back Off – Perry Street Parking Deck

Each of these things were constructed with much hype but turned out to be a complete mess.

Sense8 – Moss Arts Center

These are probably too extravagant to survive but we’ll see. Both are inspiring but might also drive us crazy; the white halls of MAC are full of artsy characters that share a similar, creative mindset, similar to the beloved, interlinked characters of this show. They each are an artistic platform on which to address issues of politics, identity, sexuality, gender and religion.

Blackmirror – New Classroom Building

Each has a lot of basic security issues that kind of freak us out if we think about them for too long, but the technology is cool.

Narcos – Shanks Hall

This building is home to both English and communication students, all of whom who will have to find creative ways to make money. It is highly unlikely that any of them will turn to selling cocaine, but with the recent tuition increases it may not be too impossible of a scenario.

Marco Polo – Pearson Hall and its unnamed twin

The show lost Netflix a lot of money and was canceled after two seasons. After all the havoc the construction site and delays have caused to campus, many of us may wish that the continued expansion of the Upper Quad will meet a similar fate.

Degrassi: Next Class – Math Emporium

Like this Netflix and this show, Virginia Tech only kinda owns the Empo but we can use it anyway. Also, it is full of drama, sadness and young adults who feel like the world is ending.

Photos are self taken and edited, except Newman and graphics which are free to use.

Megan Church, or Maury, is a writer and editor for Virginia Tech's chapter of Her Campus. She studies at Virginia Tech, majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Professional and Technical Writing. With a passion for writing and experience in journalism, Maury excitedly joined the team that brought Her Campus back to life at Virginia Tech.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!