Style > Beauty

Virginia Tech Beauty Celebs: The Campus Makeup Artist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

To continue the Virginia Tech Beauty Celebs profile series, I sat down with Machelle Palanca, a sophomore public relations major. Working at Clinique while at school and Sephora while at home, Machelle knows makeup like the back of her hand. 

When did your love for beauty begin?

I started wearing makeup in 8th grade. I had really bad acne and discoloration on my face, so I dragged my dad to a makeup counter. I started with just wearing foundation and powder, but now my makeup collection is pretty huge! My love for beauty began when I first wore makeup because it brought me so much confidence. Makeup definitely empowers people.

Describe working at Clinique and Sephora. 

I love both of my jobs. I work at a Clinique counter here in Blacksburg, and working at Clinique is very relaxed and organized compared to working at a busy Sephora. Both of my jobs are hands on. I have to show clients how to use products and how to apply makeup. At Sephora, there are so many different brands, so I am constantly learning different techniques and ingredients. The best thing about working at a makeup store or makeup counter is trying all of the new products. My makeup collection has grown so much.

If you could give college women 3 essential beauty tips, what would they be?

My first tip would be to moisturize. Use a facial moisturizer every day even if you have oily skin. Moisturize before applying makeup. Moisturize after you wash your face. Moisturizer is so important because it protects your skin and prevents aging. Also, find a moisturizer that is tailored to your skin type, whether you have dry skin or oily skin. It is best to find a moisturizer with SPF to prevent sun damage. My second tip is to use the “Triangle Concealer Trick”. It is super easy. If you wear a concealer for under-eye bags or darkness, draw your concealer in an upside down triangle under your eyes, and then blend. This trick will make your face look fuller and highlighted. My last tip is to use setting spray. After you beat your face with makeup, you want to make sure it looks good all day! No one wants crusty makeup. I love setting my face with a setting spray. There are so many brands that sell setting sprays, so you can get one from the drugstore or any high-end cosmetic store. My personal favorite is MAKE UP FOR EVER Mist & Fix. It leaves my makeup looking fresh and hydrated all day long!

Name your top 5 ride-or-die makeup products.

1. beautyblender
  2. Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer 
  3. Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder
  4. Kat Von D Ink Liner 
  5. Maybelline FIT ME! Concealer 

Stay tuned for our next Virginia Tech Beauty Celeb!

Bailey Black

Virginia Tech

I'm a Virginia Tech junior pursuing a major in Public Relations; a minor in Dress, Culture, and Society; and a minor/cognate in Marketing and Event Management. You can usually find me blogging, taking photos, listening to music, playing with makeup, organizing my planner or cooking up a healthy meal. I love giving advice on beauty, fashion, health and the college lifestyle, and I'm so thankful to be working with Her Campus!
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!