This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

To continue our Virginia Tech Beauty Celebs series, I spoke with up-and-coming beauty blogger, Ashley Battle. Ashley graduated from Virginia Tech last year with a public relations degree and is back now pursuing a second degree in marketing management. Alongside this, Ashley has launched a beauty blog and YouTube channel. Keep reading to find out what fuels her to post content that inspires and empowers women!

When did you start wearing makeup?

I started wearing makeup around 8th grade. My parents never really allowed me to wear makeup in middle school, but I would put on my some of my friend’s mascara and makeup at school, so eventually my parents gave in and let me buy my own. I haven’t stopped since! My love of beauty came from looking at my mom’s giant collection and seeing what different stuff she had. It was so gorgeous, and I definitely wanted what I couldn’t have. From there, I just invested my free time in playing with her makeup, and I realized how confident it can make women feel which really boosted my love for cosmetics.

What made you want to launch your blog and YouTube channel?

I really wanted to do something for myself. My entire college career was dedicated to classes, volleyball, clubs and working, so I wasn’t able to do anything with my love of makeup except wearing it! My last year I had the most free time I’ve ever had, and I finally was able to get involved with doing things to support strong women and make them feel the most confident, and I believe makeup is the best way to bring out inner confidence in women. I was good at writing and talking with people, so I decided to start my own blog to get my foot in the door and expand to a Youtube channel once I got more practice and support. I, like almost everyone, want to eventually make this my career, but for now, my goal is to just enjoy it as my hobby and hopefully reach as many women as possible to inspire the most confidence in themselves.  

Why do you believe makeup brings out inner confidence in women?

Women can use makeup to feel as beautiful on the outside as they do on the inside, and that’s what makeup is to me: confidence. I didn’t start using makeup to cover up how I looked. I used it to add how beautiful I already was as a tall, inter-racial girl. Being a strong woman is knowing who you are.

If you could give college women 3 essential beauty tips, what would they be?

1. Focus on skin care before you focus on makeup! If you don’t have healthy skin, your makeup application will never be as flawless as you want it. Glowing, healthy skin will forever make you feel more confident and is the best “makeup” you can possibly have.

2. Blend, blend and blend some more. The purpose of makeup is to highlight and accentuate your best features, and if your foundation, contour, eyeshadow or anything else isn’t blended, people will focus on your flaws and not your best features. Always check how blended your makeup is before leaving the house!

3. You don’t need the most expensive and elaborate makeup collection out there to look beautiful. It’s all about working with what you have. A good powder foundation, mascara and lip gloss is all you need to achieve a full makeup look.

Name your top 5 ride-or-die makeup products.

1. Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer – This is the best primer on the market. It fills any pore on your face, smooths and makes your makeup last throughout the day, which is crucial for someone like me with really oily skin.

2. Kat Von D Shade + Light Contour Palette – I can’t go a day without my contour. I can use every color in this palette, and it’s perfect for virtually all skin tones. It’s an investment, but for my first palette and with using it everyday, it’s lasted me over a year.

3. L’Oreal Telescopic Mascara: I’ve used this mascara for almost four years, and I can’t get myself to buy a new one. It gives the most perfect, even-length application and does not smudge or disappear during the day.

4. MAC Fix+ Setting Spray – A lot of people forget to set their makeup, but if I forget, my makeup smudges off my face in about two hours! This spray blends my makeup together and can be used for things other than setting, like priming and making eyeshadow colors last. I never do my makeup without it!

5. beautyblender – One of these works magic! People think it’s crazy to spend $20 on a sponge, but this sponge is the only thing I use when blending in cream products. I haven’t had such a flawless finish with any other product. If I don’t have my damp beauty blender, I don’t put on makeup. But I have six different ones so I never go without!

Don’t forget to subscribe to Ashley @battleforbeauty on YouTube and check out her blog here: http://www.battleforbeauty.co/!

Bailey Black

Virginia Tech

I'm a Virginia Tech junior pursuing a major in Public Relations; a minor in Dress, Culture, and Society; and a minor/cognate in Marketing and Event Management. You can usually find me blogging, taking photos, listening to music, playing with makeup, organizing my planner or cooking up a healthy meal. I love giving advice on beauty, fashion, health and the college lifestyle, and I'm so thankful to be working with Her Campus!
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!