This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Valentine’s Day is full of expectations. It’s a day when our significant others go out of their way to express the love they have for us; when we celebrate the importance of love and the relationships it creates. For one day out of the year, everyone puts on their rose-colored glasses and forgets about their problems. On Valentine’s Day, nothing exists besides pink and red roses, chocolates, and romantic candle-lit dinners. That is true unless you’re single. 

If you’re single, you may view Valentine’s Day as the complete opposite. A day for people to rub their relationships in your face. A day where you sit in front of your TV, eat a pint of Half Baked ice cream, and cry to rom-coms. But that doesn’t have to be the case. 

Valentine’s Day is about celebrating love. It doesn’t matter which love you celebrate; you don’t have to have a partner to enjoy the spoils. The celebration of love can be that of the self, family and friends. My favorite way to celebrate is with my girlfriends, Galentine’s Day if you will. Here are some of my favorite ways to celebrate with my girls.

Movie night

Staying in on Valentine’s Day can seem a little sad, especially when the people around you are out and about with their partners. Movie nights are a great way to change the narrative. Grab some popcorn or your favorite treat, your closest friends, and pop in something corny. Before you know it, the tissues you thought you would need for sad tears are being used to wipe away the tears that come after laughing so hard you can’t breathe. 

bake-off

I know that this Valentine’s Day will bring cookie decorating. This is my all-time favorite; it’s something that I have been doing for a long time. Nothing cheers me up more than cookie decorating. Using frosting as an art medium is very therapeutic. Combine this with my girlfriends, and I know that this will be one of the best Valentine’s Days thus far. If you’re a little more advanced in the kitchen, you could even go as far as to bake a heart-shaped cake; decorate it with pink and white icing or even go the opposite way and do an anti-Valentine’s themed cake. Either way, you cannot go wrong. 

photoshoot

If the other choices don’t stick out to you, you could always do a photoshoot. Go to your favorite location and take pictures with your friends — whether it be in Valentine’s Day-themed outfits or candid pictures at your favorite brunch place. Not only will you have a fun time, but you’ll have pictures to remember it forever. 

No matter how you choose to spend your Valentine’s Day, I hope that this is the best one yet. And remember, the best Valentine’s Days are the ones for the girls. 

Leah Copeland

Virginia Tech '24

Leah is a senior at Virginia Tech. She is studying Political Science and English with a minor in Women and Gender Studies.