Ut Prosim: Service Dogs on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I don’t know about you all, but one of the first things I noticed when coming back to campus this year was the amount of people with service dogs in training. Maybe I just pay too close attention to the dogs on campus, but it seems as if everywhere I go anymore there is one walking around (not that I’m complaining). If you’re curious as to why you are seeing so many service dogs this year, I have an answer for you.

Over the summer a post was made on one of the Virginia Tech Facebook pages about an opportunity to be a part of the “puppy raiser program” through sdwr.org. Me, being the dog lover I am, took a screenshot of the post and sent it to my friends.

The post discussed all of the perks of being a puppy raiser: no fee for the dog, apartment complexes shouldn’t charge you to house the dog and they have the same rights as normal service dogs. The only drawback was that you had to give the dog back to the organization after a period of training. The program requires an application with questions about current pets, current residency, availability to attend obedience classes and — the biggest one of all — ability to give the dog back after training is done.

Most programs utilize breeds such as golden retrievers, labrador retrievers, and German Shepherds due to their natural instincts and desire to work for and please people. However, programs across the country train dogs of all breeds for different types of service dog programs. The three main types of service dogs are emotional support, service and therapy dogs. 

There are more programs to go through than just the one posted to the Facebook page. Service Dogs of Virginia is based in Charlottesville and offers a puppy-raiser program as well. More information can be found here.

Training a service dog is definitely a way to embody Ut Prosim. Not only do you get a furry friend for a year, but you also will make a huge difference in someone’s life who needs a service dog.

Rebecca Sutton

Virginia Tech

Virginia Tech | Multimedia Journalism & Professional and Technical Writing | Avid concert go-er & coffee enthusiast |
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!