A Unique Place to go With Your Girlfriends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Going on spring break with your crew sounds like an awesome idea. Who wouldn’t want to go to a beach with their closest gang for a week? That was my thought when I planned a spring break getaway with my girls. We wanted to do something fun and new. We also wanted to go somewhere where we wouldn’t see our entire school on vacation. We decided to go to the only part of Alabama that connects to the Gulf of Mexico.

After a fourteen hour drive we pulled off the highway and onto a beach access road. We drove between the water and a state park for miles, and then pulled into a town called Gulf Shores, Alabama. We originally picked this small town after finding it from a popular music festival that’s hosted there. After falling in love with the town during the festival we decided that we had to go back, and spring break seemed like the perfect time to do that.

The beaches were the perfectly white sand you’d think that only existed in resort magazines. The ocean water was clearer then purified water in the kitchen. The weather is refreshingly hot after the rain and cold that Virginia offers. In Gulf Shores, even the thunderstorms are beautiful. From the hotel we were able to see lightning strike the water on nights when it stormed. Even though they were short storms and soon passes, they were still stunning to watch. It was a secret slice of heaven that the traditional spring break crowd hadn’t seemed to discover.

For days we bounced between sleeping on beaches, eating in tiny cafe restaurants, and paddleboarding on the ocean. The locals are extremely friendly and happy to offer any advice for places to visit. It truly is the ideal southern hospitality. There wasn’t a single day we weren’t having the time of our life. It was nice and calm which was the perfect vacation we needed from the stress of finals and classes.

Whether you  decide to go somewhere more calm or go to the more traditional or popular places, all that matters is that you have an amazing spring break with your girl gang. An iconic spring break can happen in Bermuda, Miami, or even in your house. Just remember to relax from classes and have a good time!

Image Sources

1 / 2

Lauren Peters

Virginia Tech '21

My name is Lauren Peters and I am a Comm major with a minor in Psychology. I love to write and am currently involved in HEVT club, Collegiate Times, and Her Campus
Chera Longfritz

Virginia Tech

Just a funky lil girl trying to put my thoughts into relatable words!!! I've had the dream of being Anne Hathaway's character in Devil Wears Prada since I was like three. Maybe without being someone's bitch, but you know, everyone has to start somewhere.