absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Turning Up The Turnout With Bernie Sanders: HCVT Teams up with The New York Times

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

In case you missed it, the lovely ladies known as Her Campus at Virginia Tech teamed up with The New York Times to host a livestream watch party where Bernie Sanders shared his advice for “Turning Up the Turnout.”

The interview between Sen. Bernie Sanders and The New York Times National Political Correspondent Alex Burns, was a part of the The New York Times’ “Get With The Times” speaker series. Sanders shed light on important political topics such as Amazon raising their hourly wages, the Kavanah vs. Ford hearings and of course the importance of voting in the upcoming elections.

Sen. Sanders answered questions from college students both in the crowd at The University of Maryland, and via video submission. Some of which just so happened to be from Her Campus members themselves.

When the topic of the importance of voting for college students was brought up, his response was simple, “The times are too dangerous for you to sit it out … You’ve got to get involved, and you have to participate in any and every way you possibly can.”

Before the livestream began, The Young Democratic Socialists of America spoke at the event, not only about what their organization believes in, but how they are working to benefit college students at Virginia Tech.

Her Campus at Virginia Tech knows how to put the party in watch party. The night was filled with pizza, drinks and tons of fun giveaways for those at the event. The first two people to sign in even won a free curling iron! All who attended left the event with a The New York Times themed goodie bag, decked out with pins, stickers and other swag, reminding students to get out and vote.

Of course none of this could have been possible without our sponsors. We would like to give a special thanks to Coca-Cola for providing us with refreshments during the event, and of course another huge thank you to The New York Times for making this watch party happen for us! We couldn’t have done it without them.  

Sarah Carr

Virginia Tech '20

Sarah is a current senior majoring in multimedia journalism and minoring in sociology. 
Chera Longfritz

Virginia Tech

Just a funky lil girl trying to put my thoughts into relatable words!!! I've had the dream of being Anne Hathaway's character in Devil Wears Prada since I was like three. Maybe without being someone's bitch, but you know, everyone has to start somewhere.