imageGenjpeg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
imageGenjpeg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Treat Yourself Using Student Discounts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Between textbooks, groceries, and utilities, there seems to be a mile-long list of expenses students are expected to cover. Although the bills rack up quickly, remember that your status as a student has its perks. Take advantage of your student ID and email while you can!

GitHub Student Developer Pack

Requirement: Picture of your school ID with current enrollment date, class schedule, transcript, and affiliation or enrollment verification letter

GitHub has partnered with over 100 developer tools to provide you with the ultimate student experience! Whether you are looking to rack up experience points in Java or you want to boost productivity, the GitHub Student Developer Pack has it all. My personal favorite is the free 12-month subscription to Canva, my go-to app to design social media graphics for final deliverables. Another must-have perk is the one-year free domain registration through Name.com, which allows you to secure your domain preference for your personal or work-related website. No need to worry about being “user12345”. Instead, create a personalized link to stand out from the millions of virtual portfolios and projects.

Student Beans Account

Requirement: Prove your student status through a verification link sent to your university email address

Student Beans boasts of over 250 discounts to help you find the best deal for everything fashion, entertainment, tech, and more. One of the must-have offers is the student discount for Wondershare Filmorama. I know I am not alone when I say the ability to stitch together clips, audio, and transitions into a seamless video or film is beyond enviable. Master the basics of video editing with ease and wow your peers during your next presentation. 

Unidays

Requirement: Verification link sent to your university email address

Unidays offers savings on more than 150 brands, big and small. Our reliance on laptops and phones to pass our classes has left us with hundreds of Zoom horror stories and probably excessive eye strain. Now is time to up your vision with 30% off of blue light glasses from GlassesUSA! As a last-semester senior, I swore that I would get better at taking photos before I graduate. I highly recommend applying B&H Photo’s 15% off code to snag a Fuji Instax!

As we navigate through our third virtual semester, remember that it is okay to indulge in retail therapy. With hundreds of offers and discounts reserved for students, the brand you intend to buy from has likely partnered with one of the above websites. Here’s to getting through the spring, and happy shopping!

Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.