This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

As we wrap up the first month of school, it’s easy to feel like there’s no free time. Between the first round of exams, busy schedules, work and extracurriculars, life gets pretty crazy. The best way that I’ve found to take a break from the craziness, though, is to make time for small things that take your mind off of the stress, even for just an hour or two.

Go Get Lunch With Friends

This suggestion is honestly an absolute favorite of mine. Going to get lunch shouldn’t really take no more than an hour or two, tops, and in all honesty that hour or two is not going to be the end of the world. Your mental sanity is. Every time I have made the choice to get out of the house or the library for even an hour, I have been all the more thankful for it. My friends are always able to lift my spirits and renew my energy. I highly recommend.

Fold Your Laundry

Now, I know you probably looked at this option and thought “Ew. I hate folding my laundry.” Me too girl, me too. However, I have found that if I can put on a funny TV show (something like Schitt’s Creek or The Office), zone out and fold my laundry at the same time, I am still being productive while also doing something that requires zero brainpower. After that, I feel way better.

Take a Shower

Again, a kind of weird suggestion, but just hear me out. I swear to you that showers provide some sort of magic. I have never taken a shower and felt worse afterward. It takes no more than 15 or 20 minutes, and then you feel fresh and clean afterwards. What’s not to love?

Grab a Cup of Coffee

Ah, coffee. I have always had a love hate relationship with it. I could never, and still can’t, stomach the taste of it, but there’s just something about it. Probably the caffeine. All I know is that taking a minute out of my day to take a breath, get some caffeine into my system and clear my head does wonders for my sanity.

Make a Playlist

As for my final suggestion, this can sometimes be the most helpful way to take a break from studying. I think that music is one of the most important elements of a good study environment. The wrong music can make it impossible to focus, but the right music can transform the way I study. Plus, the 15 minutes or so that I spend making that playlist are the perfect opportunity to take a brain break.

Overall, I think that studying is really important, but I think that study breaks are even more important. If you just keep pushing all of the time without ever giving yourself the chance to take a break, you’ll burn out faster than you thought possible. Just remember to be kind to yourself, and you’ll get through the thick of it.

All GIFs from GIPHY

1 / 2 / 3 / 45

Catharine Knowles

Virginia Tech '21

Hi friends! My name is Cat, and I come from a one-stoplight town in rural Pennsylvania, but I love to read, write, edit, and much more. I have always dreamed of seeing my name on the spine of a book, and you'll almost never find me without my nose in a novel or not obsessing over a new tv show or movie adaptation.
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.