Top 5 Binge Watches for the End of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Let’s be honest, we all need to blow off some steam every now and then, and at the end of the semester, even more so. The problem? Not all shows were created equal and some require more attention than others do, so here’s a list of the top 5 easy binge watches:

1. New Girl

This series follows the new girl in the apartment, Jess (Zooey Deschanel), as she moves into a new home with three other guys in their mid-twenties who have no idea how to act around girls. As the four get acquainted, Jess gets comfortable in her new home, and the comedy ensues. All in all, I think I burnt through the whole show in about two months, and I enjoyed every second of it.

2. Brooklyn Nine-Nine

This one is for any SNL enthusiasts out there. When Andy Samberg left SNL, I thought that I’d never get to laugh at his genius again. I was wrong. Andy Samberg now stars in the Brooklyn-based cop comedy, and the comedic timing in the show is perfect. If you feel like you just need a good laugh after studying for hours, this show is definitely for you.

3. The Office

Now, I’m pretty sure almost everyone has watched The Office at this point, but just in case you haven’t, do it. I think that the cult-like following behind the series speaks well enough for itself, but the show has comedy, romance, and so much more. By the time you finish an episode, you will have laughed your butt off and rooted for the characters, all in the span of a half hour. Plus, this show is one that you can re-watch time and time again, and still find funny.

4. How I Met Your Mother

Okay, so I think I’m a little bit biased on this one but let me just say that I adore this show. I think that I watched all nine seasons of this show in about a month. Granted, I wasn’t in school at the time, but I think that this show has the perfect balance between light and funny, and amazing character arcs. Plus, nothing will ever beat Ted’s red cowboy boots.

5. Gilmore Girls

Amy Sherman-Palladino is a genius, and Gilmore Girls is proof of that. Gilmore Girls feels just real enough that you could take a weekend trip to stars hollow, but it also follows the incredible mother-daughter duo of Lorelai (Lauren Graham) and Rory (Alexis Bledel) as they stumble through growing up together. With their small town at their backs, it feels as if the two can take on the world, and this show is the perfect girls-night binge watch.

Image Sources:

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

Catharine Knowles

Virginia Tech '21

Hi friends! My name is Cat, and I come from a one-stoplight town in rural Pennsylvania, but I love to read, write, edit, and much more. I have always dreamed of seeing my name on the spine of a book, and you'll almost never find me without my nose in a novel or not obsessing over a new tv show or movie adaptation.