Top 3 Fall Fashion Trends You Can Score for Less

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

There’s so many tips, how-tos and other forms of fashion info circulating and swarming the web. However, I always find myself both stunned and bummed when I fall in love with a featured piece just to find a price tag with three digits attached! It seems rare to find affordable fashion being publicized. Elle’s recent article, “Wear Our 10 Favorite Fall Trends 2 Totally Different Ways”, inspired me to take my top three favorite looks and make them much more college budget friendly without sacrificing style. Here’s some necessary fall pieces I found thanks to the ASOS mid-season sale that will give you major cool points without hurting your bank account.

1. Romantic Ruffles

Ruffle sleeves, ruffle necklines and ruffle-detail shoulders have been extremely popular this season. Ruffles give any piece a touch of effortless romance. Pair a ruffled top this season with straight leg jeans and mules for an airy and easy look. Ruffles were also huge this summer so keep your summer dresses around and layer a long sleeved top underneath for chilly days to get the same romantic look. Ruffles are definitely here to stay and can be a major impact in your wardrobe without breaking the bank.

Similar items offered at a fraction of the price include a grey shift dress with ruffled shoulders and a ruffle long-sleeve cutout top with a peplum hem.

Left: Plain Studios Shift Dress With Ruffle Shoulder Detail In Fine Stripe

$18.95

Right:  ASOS Satin Ruffle Top with Cold Shoulder

$15.79

2. Vintage Florals

Floral is a print that is never out of style. Transition from summer to winter by incorporating florals with dark-colored bases like navy, black and grey. The cool colors ooze fall appeal and the floral detailing makes the look sophisticated. Pair a dark-colored floral dress with brown or black booties this fall to nail the trend.

Similar Items you can score for less include a high neck floral ruffle dress and a shoulder grazing floral ruffle dress with a cinched-in waist.

Left: Parisian High Neck Floral Dress

$34.74

Right: Influence Cold Shoulder Floral Ruffle Dress

$31.58

3. Velvet

Velvet is definitely the “in” fabric of the season. Velvet dresses can make any casual look more glam. Opt for a maxi velvet dress in a dark hue paired with a plain t-shirt this fall. Velvet is also a great option for special events and nights out. Choose a short, bold-colored dress and pair with strappy heels to turn heads at your next get-together.

Similar items you can find for less include a rippled velvet wrap dress with a daring slit and a v-neck wrap velvet dress in a bold red.

Left:  River Island Crushed Velvet Wrap Dress

$28.42

Right: Club L Velvet Wrap Front Dress

$34.74

When you are juggling the costs of a college education and those involved with maintaining a well-being, it can be a tease to see the luxurious designer fashion pasted across the glossies of Elle, Vogue and similar titles, but that should not stop you from finding the price-savvy options filtering through internet. With the influx of fast fashion retailers offering up fall’s hottest trends for less, there is no doubt you will be hitting all the major marks this season.

Photo Source from left to right:

Rep Image1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12

Hey y'all! I'm a freshman majoring in Multimedia Journalism and Fashion Merchandising & Design. I love all things fashion and beauty and especially writing about them! I dream of one day working for a major fashion magazine in the big city. Until then, you can find me scrolling through Pinterest, watching makeup tutorials, and online shopping!
Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.