This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

From the dropping of the series finale of Game of Thrones to a raid to free the aliens from Area 51, 2019 has been chock-full of iconic Instagram worthy moments. With Halloween just around the corner, here are 10 of the best pop-culture related costumes that will help you win Halloween 2019.

Eleven from Stranger Things 3

For those of you who are as obsessed with this show as I am, you know that the fashion has immensely improved for the female characters in the show as the series has gone on, this season especially. In order to rock Eleven’s signature look from this season, all you’re going to need is a wildly patterned shirt, suspenders, a pair of dark washed jeans (blue or black), white sneakers, and a pair of white tube socks. To complete the look you could add a little blood coming out of your nose using special effects makeup to try and convince people that you too have powers from the Upside Down.

An Alien from Area 51

In June of 2019, a Facebook event was created titled “Storm Area 51, They Can’t Stop Us All,” that sparked immediate public support. In order to channel your inner alien, wear your hair up in space buns, a large neon colored t-shirt of your choice, metallic leggings, and all the body glitter you can find and you’ve got yourself an out-of-this-world costume. 

Sabrina Spellman from Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

This Netflix original series based off the comic books of the same name became an instant cult classic when it first premiered back in October 2018. In order to recreate this look, simply pair a black turtleneck, red plaid skirt, black tights and boots, and a black headband and you’ve got yourself a be-witching costume.

Daenerys Targaryen from the final season of Game of Thrones

Many people were upset about the ending of this monumental HBO series, especially how the series wrapped up for Daenerys Targaryen. No matter the fate our Khalessi faced, in order to rock her Battle of King’s Landing outfit, simply pair a long-sleeved black or grey dress with tall black boots, and a red sheet draped over one shoulder with a dragon broche to give the appearance of a cape. Don’t forget to include one of Daenerys’ intricate braids in order to truly become the Mother of Dragons.

Wednesday Addams from The Addams Family

With the new animated Addams Family movie out now, there is no better time than now to modernize Wednesday’s signature gothic look. Simply braid your hair into two pigtails, wear a black dress with a white collared shirt underneath, black boots, and your best sinister look and you got yourself a wickedly-good costume.

Black Widow

Our first female Avenger is finally getting her a solo film next spring and there is no better way to honor her than by rocking her signature all black battle uniform. Just wear a black turtleneck or tank top with black pants, boots, and a utility belt and curl your hair to tie the entire look together.

Janet from The Good Place

The final season of The Good Place just started airing on NBC and Janet is the perfect low maintenance costume to for sure earn you a spot in The Good Place. Pair a blue or polka-dot blouse with a purple vest and skirt and you’ve got yourself a perfect Janet costume!

Rachel from Friends

One of the most iconic sitcoms in the history of television, Friends, is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year so what better time to recreate one of Rachel Green’s signature looks than now. All you need is a white, short-sleeved turtleneck top, black skirt and tights, and black boots. If you wanna take your costume to the next level, pair your outfit with a black apron and coffee pot to channel your inner Central Perk employee.

Baby Shark and the Entire Shark Family

This is the perfect costume for you and four of your closest friends to rock. Simply wear a large blue/grey t-shirt and fashion a fin onto a headband using cardboard, paint, and a hot glue gun. Write what shark you are on the back of your t-shirt in fabric paint and you’ve got yourself a great group costume that everyone will understand.

VSCO Girl

Possibly one of the most iconic things to emerge from social media in 2019 was the birth of the VSCO girl. In order to achieve this look, pair your largest t-shirt with Birkenstocks and a pair of mom jeans. For the accessories, only bring the essentials: scrunchies, a Hydroflask, and a Fjällräven backpack and you’ll be on your way to save the turtles.

All gifs sourced from Giphy.com

Alexandra Brooks

Virginia Tech '22

Alexandra is a senior at Virginia Tech studying Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience with a minor in Political Science. A 5'2-ish Canadian-American who will stop whatever she is doing to go pet a dog, Alexandra chooses to live everyday by the motto, "Just be yourself." When not stressing out over her major or writing for Her Campus, Alexandra can be found working out, reading, listening to music, and hanging out with her friends and family.
Camden Carpenter

Virginia Tech '21

Senior studying Smart and Sustainable Cities, with hopes to become a traveling urban developer. Attemping to embody "Carpe Diem" in her everyday life, both physically by getting a tattoo of the quote, and mentally by taking risks while trying to maximize each day's full potential.