Top 10 Favorite Perfumes and Colognes for the Fall Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Fall is the time of colorful leaves, cookouts and the smell of wood smoke and maple filling the air. The scents of the fall season are abundant, and there is something for everyone. From sweet vanillas to musky amber, fall is a mix of scents that drive the senses wild. Here are my top 10 favorite perfumes and colognes for the fall season!

1. C.O. Bigelow Vanilla Birch Eau de Toilette $45 & C.O. Bigelow Vanilla Birch Cologne Mist $16.50

It’s not your typical sweet vanilla scent as it’s technically a men’s cologne, but I find it to be the perfect amount of sweet and woodsy which makes it great for men and women. It’s one of my most complimented scents; so I definitely think it’s worth a sniff if you happen to be near a Bath and Body Works.

2. Pumpkin Cupcake Fragrance Mist $14.50

It’s not fall without the endless range of pumpkin scented candles, body sprays, lotions, etc. Pumpkin Cupcake smells exactly as it’s named. It has a vanilla cupcake scent with a hint of pumpkin that lingers as the vanilla fades. It’s not overly sweet by any means, but it may make you hungry because it really does smell just like a cupcake.

3. Sensual Amber Fragrance Mist $14.50 or C.O. Bigelow Bergamot Amber Cologne Mist $16.50

Not for those of you who prefer floral or sweet scents. These amber scents are rich and full, and definitely musky. While on their own they tend to be pretty strong, I love mixing these with the Vanilla Burch to add a little bit of a sweet note to such warm and earthy scents.

4. Spiced Pumpkin Cider Fragrance Mist $13.50

Apple cider happens to be one of my favorite drinks in the fall, and pumpkin is one of my favorite scents. This is the perfect mix of both. It has the iconic pumpkin scent that B&BW is known for with a hint of spice and apples that creeps up the longer you wear it. It’s a delicious mist that will be sure to bring many compliments and questions as to what smells so yummy as you walk past.

5. Jimmy Choo Illicit $85–$112

This is a sensual scent that will leave you constantly wondering what on earth smells so good, as the scent lingers on your skin and clothes throughout the day. It’s light enough to not be overpowering, but once you smell it you’ll be tempted to drown yourself in it. It’s got a slightly spicy tone from the ginger, but the rose and sandalwood give it a musky floral note that makes it the perfect fall scent for a night out with a significant other.

6. Replica Beach Walk $28–$126

Not necessarily a fall scent per say, but Beach Walk will literally transport you back to the warm sands of the beach with the ocean waves crashing in the distance. It literally smells like the beach, but not in a gross briney way the air smells on a humid day when salt fills the air. It smells like the beach after it rains when the air is crisp and the water is clear. It’s a great scent for anyone who isn’t ready to fully embrace the sweet pumpkin and vanilla scents of fall.

7. BVLGARI Omnia Crystalline $66–$82

It’s fresh, yet intoxicating and slightly sensual. It’s a scent I wear when “I want to smell rich” because it exudes confidence in it’s light yet memorable scent. I sometimes forget that I’m wearing it, but whenever I catch a whiff of it, I always look around to see who walked past because it smells so good I can’t believe that intriguing scent is coming from me.

8. My Burberry $72–$125

My all time favorite perfume. It is floral, and while I normally associate that with the elderly, this perfume is anything but elderly in design. It is floral, but it has a depth to it that makes you turn your head when you smell it and wonder why it seems so familiar to you. This is a perfume that I wouldn’t mind wearing all year long, but it is perfect for fall if you are trying to avoid any musky or overly sweet scents.

9. Versace Bright Crystal $28–$136

It lives up to it’s name as it is a bright scent. It it strong, and a little goes a long way. Again this is a great floral scent, but it has musk undertones that make it smell less like a floral shop and more like a sensual young woman who is growing into her true adult form.

Image Sources:

Pictures from Bath and Body Works, Nordstroms and Sephora

Ashleigh Griffin

Virginia Tech '19

Ashleigh is a graduate from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.  She received a Bachelor's of Science in Food Science and Technology. Her future career will hopefully combine both her knowledge of the food industry and the importance of marketing and brand management. 
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!