Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Too Many Women are Relating to Ariana Grande Being Sexually Assaulted by Bishop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

As most of you may know by now, friends and family gathered at The Greater Grace Temple in Detroit to honor and celebrate the life of Aretha Franklin. As the funeral went on, Ariana Grande beautifully performed “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman,” and returned next to the bishop where he not only made a terribly offensive joke, but groped her on stage in front of everyone.

A quote from a CNN article summed it up perfectly: “A funeral fit for a queen also served as a reminder that there isn’t a single place in this country where a woman can feel safe from sexual assault and harassment.”

You could tell that Grande was uncomfortable. You could tell that she was trying to pull away from his grip and laugh it off instead of causing a scene. Although Pastor Charles H. Ellis III has apologized to Grande and the entire Hispanic community for his joke, too many women are relating to what Grande had to go through.

Ariana Grande’s discomfort has resonated with so many of us. We are disgusted and we are fed up. We need to start holding abusers accountable.

When will it end?

Sarah Carr

Virginia Tech '20

Sarah is a current senior majoring in multimedia journalism and minoring in sociology. 
Chera Longfritz

Virginia Tech

Just a funky lil girl trying to put my thoughts into relatable words!!! I've had the dream of being Anne Hathaway's character in Devil Wears Prada since I was like three. Maybe without being someone's bitch, but you know, everyone has to start somewhere.