This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Although Tony K. Gomer of Downingtown, PA is a sophomore, he has given back to the Hokie community more than others can offer in their four years. When he isn’t busy completing his major in Business Management, his minor in Psychology, or being an active member of Montgomery County Radio Cache, Virginia Tech Student Police Academy, and Virginia Tech Rescue Squad, you’ll most likely catch him spending time with friends or riding his motorcycle “Rhonda.” I sat down with him to further discuss his achievements at Virginia Tech and his inspirational passion for VT Rescue Squad.

Her Campus Virginia Tech:Who is your idol?

Tony Gomer:I don’t think I have any one idol. I respect anyone who stands up for what they know is wrong.

HCVT:How did you get involved with Rescue Squad? What really interested you?

Tony:Before Tech I hadn’t really been involved with EMS. I knew I wanted to get involved in something and I knew (Rescue Squad) was a way I could directly and immediately help others. I think there’s a lot of great ways to get involved, but with Rescue, when people are in need, you can be there. It’s a lot of responsibility to take on, but it’s 100% worth it.

HCVT:What key qualities must a successful Rescue Squad member have?

Tony:I think the number one skill is adaptability. You need to be able to think on your feet. In an EMS setting no one scene is the same, so you have to be able to adjust for every scenario. Time management is key. And you must have good teamwork skills; you’re never working alone. You need to be able to work as a unit with those around you.

HCVT:How has being a member changed your experience at Virginia Tech?

Tony:Being a member has changed a lot about me, my experience at Tech, how I see the world, and how I see my future. I’ve really become integrated in the community here and Tech will forever be a big part of my life. I don’t know where I’d be or what I’d be doing without it.

HCVT:What has been your most rewarding moment on duty?

Tony:I think it when a girl passed out in front of me when I was walking around on campus. It was the first time I had ever really first responded a call. It was nothing serious, but it was really satisfying knowing that I had the skills and abilities to help someone in need.

HCVT:Do you plan on applying what you learn in Rescue Squad to your future career or long-term goals?

Tony:I absolutely do! No matter what you do, being an EMT provides an incredible skill set. I’m currently looking into law enforcement as well as tactical medicine as a career path. And having those skills are critical in both fields.

HCVT: What motto do you live by?

Tony:There are definitely a few I live by, but one in particular comes to mind. “You can’t get lost if you’re looking for adventure.”

Laura Baugh

Virginia Tech

Laura Baugh is a senior at Virginia Tech where she is double majoring in Communications and Film. When not busy with school, Laura enjoys editing film and video, being the general manager at VTTV, spending time with her amazing sisters in Gamma Phi Beta, playing her guitar, and reading Her Campus! She is also obsessed with her school's athletics. Go Hokies!