This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

The universally dreaded time has come. Finals week is here at Virginia Tech and that means endless time spent cramming in all you can possibly study for several classes, many restless nights, hours spent stressing and more than you can possibly imagine occurring. It can be so easy to get off task, with services like Netflix and YouTube providing the most accessible entertainment for people, especially college students looking to take a break.

Being a procrastinator myself, I can find myself getting easily distracted as I prefer blocking all the work I have to get done out of my mind. Although this is definitely not the smartest thing to do in the long run, I pull myself together and focus on the true priorities. It is highly essential and important to stay focused while studying for finals, especially if you would like to perform well. Here are some tips to stay focused while studying:

1. Listen to Music

Music can definitely be a distraction if used incorrectly. I find it most helpful to use the music as a sort of background noise, not too loud or overpowering, that way my brain is still focusing on what I am reading or studying, therefore I can retain the information. My personal favorite is listening to television or movie soundtracks and instrumentals because they can be calming, much needed during a stressful time. Spotify is perfect if looking for pre-made playlists specifically made for studying, because there are several different options to choose from.

2. Drink Coffee

Having a warm drink is always super calming for me when I study. It provides a sense of comfort while worrying about a huge upcoming exam. Not only will it help keep you warm and satisfied, but it will keep you awake, especially if you aren’t getting enough sleep. Thankfully, Newman Library has its own cafe on the first floor, making it easily accessible for Virginia Tech students to grab a drink on their way up the library.

3. Get Good Rest

Though it may seem like a hard thing to do, getting enough sleep during Finals week is extremely crucial for not only studying, but also performing well on the physical exams. By getting enough rest, you will be able to stay awake while studying, leading to a stronger sense of focus rather than dozing off multiple times throughout the day.

4.Study with the Right People

People can definitely make or break your study session. If you are studying with the wrong group of people then it can be extremely distracting, or terrible for you personally. You may be taken advantage of and left helping them rather than learning yourself. A study group should be able to help each other and contribute equally. If you find that you study much better by yourself, then there is no shame in admitting that and telling people because at the end of the day it’s your personal grade, not the group’s.

5. Find your right study environment

A perfect study spot is important to staying focused while you study. You need a place that isn’t too distracting, but also makes you feel comfortable. The library thankfully provides several different floors that suit different types of people. Each floor alternates  between loud and quiet floors. The quiet floors can be useful for someone who wants to stay very focused since they have individual desks that block your view, keeping you focused.

6. Turn your Phone Off

This may be one of the most useful tips. Turning your phone off is a definite must-do when studying because you will be less tempted to pick it up. I find that when I am distracted by my phone, storing it far away from me is so helpful because I can’t easily reach it, leading me to stay focused on the subject at hand.

I hope you find these tips helpful! Good luck with Finals!

Image Sources 1/2/3/4

Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!