This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

As finals begin creeping up on everyone, stress is going to start settling in, and it’ll feel like you have no downtime. However, with a little time organization, these tips will help you relax and refresh to excel in your exams.

Exercise, exercise, exercise

It’s easy to want to stay in bed all day or become glued to your desk chair, but it’s important to take care of your body. Try to find time to get out and get some fresh air. If you’re looking for a good workout, try going to McComas Hall or any gym to get a good sweat. If you’re in the mood for something less intense, try walking the Huckleberry Trail or around campus.

Have a night time routine

During exams, sleep schedules are almost nonexistent. However, keep yourself on the schedule you had before. If it helps, add structure by reminding yourself of a time for a skincare routine and for being in bed so that you don’t fall out of order.

Look after your eating habits

First of all, coffee is not a meal. While I’ve also been one to say coffee is a meal, it’s vital to get important nutrients in your body for the best exam results. Make sure to have time to eat a meal before an exam — even if it’s something small like a granola bar for breakfast or a sandwich for lunch.

Take time away from social media

Social media is easy to gravitate towards when giving yourself a well-deserved break, but it can drain your energy. Seeing others enjoying themselves during exam week or dealing with constant reminders of exams can have a toll on your mental health, so try to avoid using apps like Instagram or TikTok. Consider taking breaks with friends by getting lunch together, or take some time for yourself and read a book.

remember to breathe

Above all else, breathe. During exam season, it can be hard to feel like yourself. It’s important to remember that your grades do not define your worth, and you’re allowed to have a break from studying. Give yourself the freedom to relax and enjoy yourself a little bit before summer officially starts.

While exam season can be stressful, don’t forget to do something for yourself. Whether it’s face masks with friends or a yoga session, finding moments to relax and destress from exams is a crucial part of acing every final.

Madi Armstrong

Virginia Tech '23

Madi Armstrong is a senior studying multimedia journalism with minors in Spanish and creative writing. Through writing, she hopes to empower those around her to advocate for what they believe in and to use their experiences in ways to help others. Proud to be part of Her Campus, she hopes to leave a lasting impact and create an environment where everyone feels welcome.