This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

College is stressful, to say the least. You are learning how to be all on your own for the first time while completing a degree. Finding time for social life, self-care time, doing basic chores, and school work can be very challenging. Here are five tips to help better manage your time in college:

1. Get a pretty planner

Personally, when I buy something pretty, I am more inclined to use it so I always go for a planner with a pretty cover filled with flowers or an inspirational quote. Getting a planner in general though can help you write down and remember anything you have due for your classes, plans with friends, or even doctor appointments. It is an easy way to look at what you have to do each and every day and make sure you get all your needed tasks done. You are also less likely to overschedule yourself if you have all your events for each day down and look over your planner before making appointments or plans.

2. Write down all assignments due at beginning of the semester

At the beginning of each semester, I print out all of my syllabi and write every single assignment down on their due dates in my planner for each class. This helps ensure that I never miss an assignment’s due date. It also helps to look over the upcoming week so you know how heavy your workload for that particular week is and plan accordingly.

3. Start early 

This is the hardest tip for me to implement in my life because I am the procrastination queen. Not starting early can result in unnecessary stress and not being able to do your best on an assignment because you did not give yourself the time to do it the way you wanted. A tip I have found helpful to get work done early is to assign each day of the week to certain classes and the work for it. For example, I do all my Human Services work on Monday and so on with each class and day of the week. Procrastination is hard to fight, but once you get into the habit of doing assignments early, it gets easier. 

4. Find a balance 

College is hard, but finding a balance between school, social life, and taking care of yourself is so important. It is okay to be overwhelmed and ask for help. Find habits and tricks that make sure that you are getting your work done but not sparing your mental health and sanity while doing it.

Sheridan Mercer

Virginia Tech '22

A senior studying childhood pre-education with minors in psychology and disability Studies. I enjoy taking care of plants, listening to music, watching funny TikToks, journaling and cuddling with my cat.  
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!