TIME Chose the Right Person of the Year for 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Last Wednesday morning we woke up to the fierce cries of the “Silence Breakers.” If you do not know by now, TIME announced their Person of the Year as all of those fighting to end the epidemic of shushing sexual assault that has plagued the world for far too long. Almost every day there seems to be a new name, another person accused of sexual assault. Not only is this ripple sweeping through public figures, but also in hospitals, hotels and corporations. It is overwhelming. And powerful.

Tracking the accusations, the first domino to fall was Harvey Weinstein. After Ashley Judd became the first to go on record, to The New York Times, in October of 2017 more women have stepped out to share their stories. Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow and Rose McGowan are just a few of the actresses accusing Weinstein of sexual assault and harassment. Next came accusations on Ben Affleck, James Toback, Kevin Spacey, Brett Ratner, Al Franken, Roy Moore, Ed Westwick, Matt Lauer and Donald Trump. The dominoes are falling in Hollywood, politics and business. In a present where we are hearing these stories of known figures using derogatory language or taking inappropriate action towards women, and men, TIME would have been blind to not recognize the “Silence Breakers.”

On the emergence of accusations, TIME Person of the Year article writers, Stephanie Zacharek, Eliana Dockterman and Haley Sweetland Edwards, wrote “This reckoning appears to have sprung up overnight. But it has actually been simmering for years, decades, centuries.” By cutting through the quiet, a liberation has followed. With each domino falling, another story being shared, the conversation is changing. In her interview with TIME, NBC anchor Megyn Kelly said, “I thought maybe things could change for my daughter. I never thought things could change for me.” Shining light on sexual assault and harassment is cutting a path for a better future, for the woman of today and tomorrow.

I would be remiss to not discuss the men that have come forward as victims of sexual assault or harassment. There is actor Terry Crews, director Blaise Lipman and “Jane the Virgin” star, Justin Baldoni. On the conversation of sexual assault Terry Crews told TIME, “Nobody questions the predator … Let’s flip it. Let’s talk about what the predator is doing.”

The “Silence Breakers” being recognized as Person of the Year speaks volumes for where our country is at now, compared to 2016. Let’s not forget the 2016 Person of the Year, Donald Trump. In a video explaining why Trump was chosen, Editor-in-Chief, Nancy Gibbs said “Every year we choose the person of the year, who is the individual who has had the most influence on events for better or worse.” We have seen a turnaround in where our world is looking. 2017 has brought on the faces of resilient women and men, who are bringing positive change to the world.

Image Sources: Images from Pexels.com

Jessica Mardian

Virginia Tech '21

Jessica is a senior at Virginia Tech, double majoring in Creative Writing and Multimedia Journalism. 
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!