Life > Experiences

Three Things To Do in Richmond Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

I think it is safe to stay that we are all ready for exams to finish up and for winter break to finally arrive. If you’re like me and heading back to Richmond, Virginia for break or plan on visiting, here are three places in the area to visit to enjoy your winter break.

Girl With Snow In Trees 1
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
The Nutcracker At Richmond Ballet

Every December the Richmond Ballet performs Tchaikovsky’s The Nutcracker at the Grand Carpenter Theatre. There are around seventeen performances with tickets starting at $25 dollars per person.

Richmond Ballet Instagram: @richmondballet

Richmond Ballet Nutcracker Tickets

The VMFA

The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is an art museum located on North Arthur Ashe Boulevard. It features several year round exhibits as well as a few seasonal ones. It includes two dining options with a cafe on the first floor and a small restaurant on the third floor that overlooks the courtyard.

VMFA Instagram: @vmfamuseum

VMFA Official Website

Ice Skating At Richmond Ice Zone

The Richmond Ice Zone is located in Chesterfield County and provides public skating hours and ice skating lessons. There is a $16 admission fee and a $4 skate rental fee for those who do not bring their own ice skates.

Richmond Ice Zone Instagram: @richmondicezone

Richmond Ice Zone Website

Simone Smith

Virginia Tech '25

I am a junior at Virginia Tech pursuing a degree in Public Relations. I enjoy painting, hikes with friends, sunsets, and finding new music.