This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

It’s now the end of April, and if you’re a senior like me, you’re laser-focused on finishing class projects and papers and taking cap-and-gown pics. However, before you have too much fun celebrating your degree, be sure to remember the following steps to ensure you have the best and most carefree commencements and celebration.

double-check diploma mailing address

Unfortunately, you won’t get your real diploma handed to you when you walk across that stage during your college commencement ceremony. So, in order to make sure your diploma is not sent to your college address, assuming you’ll be moving out, follow these steps: Go to Hokie Spa, search for “Add/Update Diploma Address”, and edit the fields to an address where you want your diploma to be delivered in the foreseeable future. I recommend using a parent’s address in case there are any delays in shipping or if you are moving for a job or grad school but don’t know what your new address will be yet.

Pick up cords, sashes, and other accessories

Firstly, if you didn’t order your cap and gown ahead of time, you can still buy them at the Virginia Tech bookstore as long as you don’t need them custom-made. If you’re set to graduate with a 3.4 overall GPA or above, you’re eligible to also get a Latin honors sash from the bookstore. If you’re involved in any clubs, societies, or organizations, be sure to check if they have any of their own cords or stoles for you to order as well. If you make a Senior Class Gift of at least $23, you can pick up a black and gray cord and a mug while supporting whichever department you make your donation to. Lastly, if you fill out this Green Graduates of VT survey, you’re eligible to get a free green cord to show that you’ve pledged to live sustainably and environmentally after college.

Fill out the post-graduation survey

Finally, the last step is to let Virginia Tech know of your post-grad plans in their First-Destination Survey. Even if you don’t know what you’ll be doing yet, you can say so and they will send out a new survey six months later in case things have changed. A neat feature of this survey is that it’s integrated into the Handshake career website, so if you do have a job or grad school lined up, it can automatically update your Handshake profile to reflect that. Another nice thing is that you can see the live anonymous results as they come in; it’s amazing to see how many Hokies are going off to do great things.

I hope that this list has reminded you of the tasks you must complete before graduation or has affirmed that you’re on the right track to having an awesome celebration in just a few weeks. Congratulations graduates!

Sophia Campana

Virginia Tech '23

Sophia is a Virginia Tech Class of '23 graduate with a major in Professional and Technical Writing. In her free time, she enjoys listening to music, attending concerts, reading, doing yoga, playing the guitar, hiking, skateboarding, and traveling.