Wellness > Health

The Top 5 Skincare Ingredients To Add to Your Routine

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.
  1. AHA’s

AHA’s, also known as alpha-hydroxy acids, provide a wide range of benefits for our skin. AHA can be used in creams toners and lotions. The top benefits include blurring wrinkles/fine lines and helping with spots of aging. The best way to use AHA’s is to apply them to the skin daily and escalate the concentration. 

2. BHA’s

BHA’s like AHA’s are skin exfoliants. BHAs aren’t as strong as AHAs, so you may have to use them for a while to see results. Their top benefits include calming acne, helping with oil production, and cleaning out pores. The best way to use BHAs is to incorporate a toner and/or cleanser into your routine.

3. Glycolic Acid

Glycolic acid is a part of the AHA family. This ingredient’s top benefits are exfoliating the skin and boosting its collagen. Most skin types can use glycolic acid with minimal issues. Exfoliation can help to clear pores in the skin and ultimately hydrate the skin. The best way to use glycolic acid is to wash off products like cleansers if you have more sensitive skin. For stronger skin types, you can use creams or toners. 

4. Retinol

Retinol is a skincare ingredient with a multitude of benefits. These include cleaning out pores, increasing collagen production, and exfoliating the skin. Retinol is a topical treatment that you will have to use for a while to see improvements in your skin. The best way to use retinol is first to do a patch test to make sure your skin doesn’t react. Then apply a retinol cream gel or ointment to clean the skin. Always follow retinol with a moisturizer. It’s best to start small with retinol and work your way up. 

5. Lactic Acid

Lactic acid is a part of the AHA family. Its top benefits are firming the skin, helping with cell turnover, and helping smooth fine lines and wrinkles. The best way to use lactic acid is to use a concentration below 10% and a PH of over 3.5. Be sure not to use lactic acid and retinol or other strong exfoliants at the same time. Always wear your sunscreen when using lactic acid in your routine.

Allera Bee

Virginia Tech '26

My name is Allera (Ally) Bee and I am a student at Virginia Tech. I am from Cincinnati, Ohio and I am studying multimedia journalism.